Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with hover selecting

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
alakemp5
Visitor

Problem with hover selecting

I have had my Vaio Laptop, model  PCG-8161M for 2 years now and have tried many different methods of overcoming my problem without success. Hopefully, someone on here will know a cure.

When I hover over any button intentionally or unintentionally, the button is selected. This has caused major problems by deleting e-mails, sending unfinished e-mails, drawing unwanted lines, deleting text etc etc.

I cannot find a cure in Windows, I even upgraded to windows 7 in the hope of a cure, there is nothing in control panel that I can see.

All I want to do is switch this off so I have to physically click to press the button.

Anyone help, pleeeeaaaase

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Are you using Single Click mode?  This "feature" seems to be inbuilt with that mode.  Either change to 'Double-Click to Open' mode (Control Panel -> Folder Options -> General Tab) or if that does not work or you are already in double-click mode a small Registry edit should fix it: -

Windows Key -> R -> REGEDIT

Go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Control Panel / Mouse
Then:
Set 'MouseHoverWidth' and 'MouseHoverHeight' to 0.

:wink:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Are you using Single Click mode?  This "feature" seems to be inbuilt with that mode.  Either change to 'Double-Click to Open' mode (Control Panel -> Folder Options -> General Tab) or if that does not work or you are already in double-click mode a small Registry edit should fix it: -

Windows Key -> R -> REGEDIT

Go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Control Panel / Mouse
Then:
Set 'MouseHoverWidth' and 'MouseHoverHeight' to 0.

:wink:

alakemp5
Visitor

The double click was already set as you describe, the REGEDIT seems to have done the trick but I will give it a week to check all programmes. Many thanks for your help.:smileyhappy:

alakemp5
Visitor

Unfortunately, the problem still exists. Now I have altered the REGEDIT, I can no longer double click to select anything. This does not apply in all programmes though.

Any other suggestions would be welcome so I can try them.

Message was edited by: alakemp5

ryegrass
Visitor

Try setting each (MouseHoverWidth and MoususeHoverHeight) to 1  (this is the number of pixels used for folder or program selection). If it's set to 0 no pixels are used hence your problem.