Join now - be part of our community!

A7 IV Disconnects from iPhone Imaging Edge

A7 IV Disconnects from iPhone Imaging Edge

Hi all, first-time poster here. I love my new A7 Mk IV. I was a bit disappointed it didn't have inbuilt GPS like my previous Canon 5D Mk IV but being able to pair with my iPhone and Imaging Edge sort of makes up for this. However I have problems. The devices paired fine and the iPhone is switched to ALWAYS share location with IE but Location drops out if IE app isn't in foreground and the A7 is turned off and on again later. Is this expected behaviour? It's not very convenient and with my memory what it seems to be these days, having to check my phone everytime I turn on my camera doesn't really work for me. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Martin

13 REPLIES 13
Commodore_65
Explorer

Hey mczachurski, I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and an iPhone 14 Pro Max.  Connecting IEM to the camera had always worked fine for me BUT after updating to iOS 16.4.x I had the same issue you describe.  Sony released IEM 7.7.3 last week (end of May 2023) for iOS and in their "release notes" they specifically callout that 7.7.3 addresses an issue with Location Information Linkage. I still had issues connecting to my A7-IV, even at IEM 7.7.4 (released on June 1, 2023).  So I went into the WiFi Network settings on my iPhone and brought up the SSID of the camera.  I changed "Private Wi-Fi Address" and "Limit IP Address Tracking" to OFF.  Both were set to ON prior to making the change.  After making the change and reconnecting to the camera, the GPS location Link remains connected.  It's been 44 minutes of as right now.   And the phone has been locked for 42 of those 44 minutes. See screenshot below. IEM_7.3.3_TO_IOS_16.5.png

Tags (3)
profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

danardeng_0-1685778573666.jpeg

👏

profile.country.PL.title
mczachurski
Explorer

Thank you for you reply. Right now I'm using newest camera firmware (2.0) and Creator's App (2.0.4) and everything is working just fine.

profile.country.GB.title
RevDave_50

Do you use wifi to connect your iPhone to camera when using Location Information? My understanding was that worked over Bluetooth in which case I don't understand how your solution helps. I'm using Creators" App (v2.0.4) with my A7RV (v2.0) as recommended by Sony. Really hoping to find a solution to the disconnect issue.