Join now - be part of our community!

ADP-MAA hotshoe adapter - not fit for purpose

profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

ADP-MAA hotshoe adapter - not fit for purpose

Hi Sony,

I've been struggling to get an answer out of Sony UK Support about this so I hope I can get some help here.

My A99 shipped with the ADP-MAA adapter to allow me to mount my old flashes on the A99 new style hotshoe.

The flash locks onto the adapter but the adapter only fixes onto the camera with a friction wheel. There are no locking pins to hold the flash/adapter onto the camera.

Even when I tighten the friction wheel as far as I dare (it's only plastic) I can still quite easily pull the flash/adapter off the camera. Indeed, it has already fallen off by itself. Luckily the flash landed on a soft surface and was not damaged.

Is sony going to invent a new adapter with a locking lever? The F60 fits the new shoe and has a locking lever. Even the TGA-1(thumbrest for the RX1) has a locking lever.

Please say yes! I'm not the only person affected by this - there is a lively thread on www.dyxum.com. One owner even reports his F58 flash fell off and ended up dropping into a river.

3 REPLIES 3
medialinx
New

I too have an A99 with an ADP-MAA for use with older flash guns. The adapter is woefully inadequate.

Just this weekend I had a flash gun fall off the camera and drop to the ground. The adapter took the brunt of the fall and broke. I always carry 2 spare flash guns just in case as I shoot professionally so need backup equipment, but if it was not for the fact I thought this might happen and had a spare ADP-MAA in my bag I would have been in trouble.

PLEASE SONY: Fix this problem. Your hotshoe adapter for use with older flashes is DANGEROUS and not acceptable. I am sure there are Sony customers in the US who would just love a class action lawsuit for damaging their equipment, but here in the UK we just want a fix. Please fix this and give the adapter a locking mechanism.

Also because of this problem, tightening the wheel lock on the adapter damages the adapter and I have noticed marks on the camera too. I really don't want Sony accessories damaging my camera.

Again, PLEASE fix this.

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

If this is correct, then it is terrible. I guess I will have to try mine so I know not to use my Sony flash unit with the body, unless it is secured by other means such as a strong masking tape. Come on Sony, speak up, give the members of your community some hope!

profile.country.en_GB.title
goldsnapper
New

same problem, my hlv 58 fell off my a99 body, phoned Sony who claimed it was an isolated incident. Escalated the complaint and the return call said there was nothing they could do... I called them back and told them I was not going to let it go, and pointed out the bad reviews of the accessory which they claimed did not count because it was on Sony's US site and told me I musn't be attaching it correctly, which I found most insulting. Since then I have found plenty of problems within the UK which I am collating to send to Watchdog, and will be also going to the Photography Show to demonstrate the uselessness of this product