Join now - be part of our community!

Downloaded file sizes differ from camera file size - confused!

profile.country.en_GB.title
Chris-TG
Visitor

Downloaded file sizes differ from camera file size - confused!

Hi,

I have just downloaded my first set of JPEGs from my new NEX 5N. On the camera the info shows a file size of 16M (and setting is for large/16m), but the JPEGs on the Mac show about 5m (varies a bit). I am using the Mac Image Capture app to download, and am not aware of any settings on this that would shrink the size.

I guess I am missing something - any help would be appreciated!

Also does anyone recommend any other image import system (as for some reason Sony don't seem prepared to adapt their software!)?

Many thanks

Chris

ps, small add on, I tried to download the files from the camera directly into the Image Data Lightbox and this seemed to show the same smaller files sizes.

Message was edited by: Chris-TG

2 REPLIES 2
Mick2011
New

Hi Chris, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

The camera shoots a maximum frame size of 4912x3264 pixels. If you multiply these dimensions you get 16,032,768 pixels, or 16 megapixels (16M). This will always be the case as long as you have the camera set to shoot 16M.

What happens when you download is the camera compresses the files, more noticeably with jpegs than RAW as the compression is heavier. The result is that you never see 16Mb (note: megabyte, not megapixel) images on your Mac. 5Mb is quite normal. Of course less compression (bigger files) often gives better quality, but smaller files don't always mean heavier compression or lesser quality: the content of the image itself dictates file size, which is why file sizes vary even between very similar shots with identical settings.

Basically: smaller file sizes doesn't mean smaller images, or even (necessarily) poorer quality images, just more storage space for full-size ones :slight_smile:

iPhoto is pretty good on the Mac and it can handle RAW files too, which I'd recommend experimenting with.

Let me know if you need any more help :cool:

Cheers

Mick

Message was edited by: Mick2011

Chris-TG
Visitor

Mick,

That is great - thought I had to be missing something - pics looked fine, just not used to that level of compression as I usually shoot RAW with my DSLR, but it makes sence and has cured my headache!

Many thanks,

Chris