Join now - be part of our community!

GPS Data, A77V

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
j-michael
New

GPS Data, A77V

Obviously the A77V can record GPS data. I have had GPS switched on but cannot locate any output information in my images. How does one find the recorded data? Can one link the data to Google Earth?

Thanks

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Michael - welcome.

The location Data for still photos is held in the EXIF file header which records all data about the photo.  For movies it is held in the .MOV folder.

You can view the EXIF file in PMB or most other picture editing software.  It is an industry standard.

You can view your pictures on a Map using Picture Motion Browser - have a look in PMB Help.

You can also geotag your pictures in Google Earth/Google Maps - have a look here: -

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=43896

:wink:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Michael - welcome.

The location Data for still photos is held in the EXIF file header which records all data about the photo.  For movies it is held in the .MOV folder.

You can view the EXIF file in PMB or most other picture editing software.  It is an industry standard.

You can view your pictures on a Map using Picture Motion Browser - have a look in PMB Help.

You can also geotag your pictures in Google Earth/Google Maps - have a look here: -

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=43896

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
j-michael
New

Thanks Blencogo. I now think that GPS may not have been switched on. I operate in MR mode and saved their settings at a time when GPS may have been switched off. It’s now on and I’ll try tomorrow in daylight since GPS doesn’t work properly, or at all, indoors.

Thanks

Michael

profile.country.GB.title
marashfo

Hi Michael,

Worth noting that on the A77 the default setting for GPS is 'off'. So if you have it switched 'on' and you reset the camera it reverts to off.

I've done this many times, very annoying as you only find out much later when you're on the PC.

Regards

M

PS - Have you tried uploading to Panoramio? this is once of the websites that drives the photo's on Google Earth/Maps etc. I love the site as you upload an image and straight away it shows you the location on a map. You can then click on other photo's in the same area to see how others have taken the shot.