Join now - be part of our community!

How to become professional?

profile.country.GB.title
DistantMelody

How to become professional?

Hello everyone

At the moment photography is just my hobby, but I would like to make money with my photos. I have tried Alamy and been rejected three times. Is there somewhere else I can try? I am looking for somewhere friendly, where they would say exactly what is not satisfactory with the image and help me improve.

This is the gear I have:

A77V camera with the standard lens with a polarising filter

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens (no filter yet for this one)

Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM with polarizing filter

Tripod (which I always use now)

Sony remote control (also constantly in use)

Kenko AF extention tubes for macro photography

With this gear where would I be accepted?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Sorry to read about whats happened but simply being accepted on their website is not really what I would classify as being branded a pro. A lot of the stock photography websites are really vague on what they actually want. Sometimes they reject on minor things such as what they consider to lack in definition. You could try other sites such as DeviantArt which has been a long running creative site.

What I found works well in my favour is picking a certain type of photography and concentrate in creating as many worthwhile keepers which are suitable for use. For example I have been into automotive photography for around 10 years so i know instantly what would make a suitable shot, composition etc so I can ensure I have a high number of photos ready for stock websites. Trying to photograph different situations can drag it out a bit.

The other thing to consider also is removing the filters. They are not always needed and can result in (subjectively) softer photos. In all honesty, gear does not matter on many of these sites but what the photographs are actually of.

If you want you can drop me a message or post some examples here. Maybe can give some advise further. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
DistantMelody

Thank you Watashiwateshdes :slight_smile:

You are probably right that they might not have found the subject matter outstanding enough to accept as that is the only reason I can think of why they wouldn't say specifically what was wrong with the image. I have seen images on their site that I think are not of good quality (a little blurry or too much light in places) and yet they were accepted. Maybe it was that the subject was more important than quality.

On the Alamy site there was a list of accepted cameras and other specifications.

I like taking photographs of nature and have started macro photography.

How does DeviantArt sell the images? Will they help facilitate the sale or is it down to the photographer?

I am currently trying to clean my camera which, as it turns out, has become dusty inside. I have a post on this forum with images of the sensor. I don't see any progress with the cleaning. I am afraid to do anything without advice in case it makes things worse.

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Honestly I wouldnt worry too much about one site being too picky or two faced over accepting your submission to sell. Generally stock photography as a whole is quite tedious since these days its about how easy it is for your photo to be found vs hundreds of others.

From memory, DeviantArt just requires you to upload the file, set the fees for each sale and then they handle the rest. This was some time ago so it may have changed. Another which has become very popular is 500px. If you are not a member, I would consider having a look on there as it is the new "in" thing. Have a look around and their FAQ's seems to say yes - https://support.500px.com/customer/portal/articles/434750-how-do-i-sell-my-photos-in-the-store-

Ive not really done much stock photography in a while so can only assume there will be plenty of other sites.

If you haven't, have an online search for one of my favourite macro photographers. He goes by the name LordV and his Flickr is just mindblowing. Truely a master of focus stacking and creating some breathtaking shots. I say some but nearly every single one.

For your dust issue, dont try too hard. Personally what I tend to do is clean my sensor in the bathroom since its tiled and possibly the least dusty room in the house. I find a rocket blower is useful but I tend do do it in stages, 4-5 strong puffs of the blower is enough. Too many and dust tends to fly around again. Use it for a day then repeat giving other particles time to loosen themselves. About once every 3 months I get a professional to give it a wet clean which usually eliminates 90% of all dust bunnies. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
DistantMelody

I will look. I have heard of 500px but was unsure about reliability. Have you registered with them? If not to do stock photography, how do people make money with their photos?

Thank you for sharing LordV's photographs. They are wonderful, the insects look very big and detailed. Focus stacking is done through software?

I will try again and see if the dust goes away. It seems once it is inside it simply changes location but does not wish to leave it's comfotable new house. :slight_smile:

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Few friends use 500px and their selling services who are happy with it. Ive not really bothered much with it due to competition and lack of time but could be a nice side earner.

Focus stacking is quite simple but takes patience to get right. Usually since macro photography results in microthin depth of feild, multiple shots on the same exposure are taken with minute changes in depth and then compressed into a single image. Focus stacking compression is usually done through software. Heres a good article on it - http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5717972844/focus-stacking-in-macro-photography

I wouldn't worry too much about the dust. It will only really be there in your photos if you are shooting at very small apertures. If i fire up my Alpha 7, I can bet its littered but since I shoot wide open, its never a concern to clean it as often as I should.

profile.country.GB.title
DistantMelody

I will try 500px. Thank you for the link. :slight_smile: