Join now - be part of our community!

Invalid Serial Number

Islandsnapper

Invalid Serial Number

Hi all - has anyone had any issues regarding the serial number on their UK bought product?

I just bought a Sony A6000 to compliment my A7R , only when I tried to claim the Cashback , the serial came back as invalid - After contacting Sony UK they have told me that its not a UK or IE serial , I bought it direct off Amazon UK noit any third party selling grey imports.

At the moment Im waiting to hear back from both Sony and Amazon - I think Sony have washed theior hands of it to be honest and I dont expect any cashback or warranty to be honored by them - Anyone else had any similar issues?

What is Sony genrally like for support? - Im a Canon Proffesional Services member so may have been spoilt regarding service and repair turn around - Only came to Sony on the Release of the A7R so reletivley new to getting any support from them - first impression are they are very poor.

Any help or advise would be gratfully recieved.

James

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi Islandsnapper and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Do you have a case number with Sony for this at the moment?

Could you also tell us when you contacted / last heard from Sony?

I'll escalate this for you (at the least to see if there are any updates.)

Are your contact details correct in your profile?

Islandsnapper

Hi thanks for your response

Yes Case ID 11555093 - First contact was Monday and last response was last night saying ....

"seriel number was invalid because it wasnt a UK or IE serial , and If I had any further questions to get in touch"

I dont think my contact details are on here at the moment I only just registered , the Camera kit was bought via my partners Amazon Account though , I sent Sony the Invoice but it made no difference , still nothing back from Amazon either

Thanks again

James

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again.

Thanks for the info :wink: I will pass that on for you.

Can you update your contact details as someone should be in touch with you soon-ish

(may take up to a couple of days though) and they use the info in your profile.

If I find anything out in the meantime I will keep you posted here. Likewise if you're contacted let us know :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Islandsnapper

Thanks for this , Ive updated my contact details in the account

really appreciate this , mant thanks.

Will post the Amazon response when I get it

James

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

No worries :thumbsup:

Cheers, that would be great.

anseymo57
Explorer

I've just had the exact same problem with the serial number, but I've also received the camera in an opened box (seal broken) from Sony Online where the serial number on the box doesn't even match the camera.

I'm hoping to get it returned and replaced as it's a present for my Wife's 40th!

Islandsnapper

Wow.. the plot thickens , Direct from Sony too.

Im a little disapointed with Sony to be honest , Ive invested a fair amount in their products and they dont even have the couertsy to to see the support case through.

Amazon didnt need telling twice , before they even replied they had dispatched a replacement which Im collecting today , so will be trying the serial number on that one

James

Islandsnapper

Well Ive just picked up the second camera from Amazon and guess what?... The Serial Number is invalid

I dont believe this is Amnazons problem, I think the Sony database is screwed up , especially if Camera direct from Sony are coming back with invalid serial numbers

Maybe a ploy to reduice the cashback>??

Not Happy

anseymo57
Explorer

TBH I'm not surprised.

I'm still awaiting a response from Sony support on my serial number issues.