Join now - be part of our community!

New Sony 6500- "Unable to read memory card. Please reinsert memory card." error message WITHOUT CARD

profile.country.HU.title
VargSoma
Explorer

New Sony 6500- "Unable to read memory card. Please reinsert memory card." error message WITHOUT CARD

-The camera is updated to the newest (1.06) software, therefore it isn't possible to update it.

-The message blocks the screen and can't navigate through the menu.

-Resetting to factory settings won't help. 

-Inserting other memory cards won't help. (Went out and bought new ones). The type and brand of memory card is not the problem.

-The problem stays even after removing and reinserting the battery.

Is there a way to reset software? Any suggestions? Anyone else encountered this problem?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

Can you make sure the memory cards are formatted from the camera and not from a computer.

Insert the memory card in your camera, then:

• Go to "Menu".
  • Go to "Set up Menu" or "Main Settings".
  • Select "Memory Card Tool".
  • Select "Format" and confirm.

Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes,

Sean 

profile.country.HU.title
VargSoma
Explorer

Hi Sean, 

Thank you for your reply.

As I mentioned in my post it isn't possible to navigate through the menu because of the message. It blocks the screen. It doesn't go anywhere (whether the card is in it or not), can't exit out of it, can't use the camera at all (meaning, it turns on but the message comes up instantly and from that point none of the buttons are usable). I have multiple cards that were formatted in the camera but it makes no difference. I suspect that it might be a software issue or the card reader is faulty in some sort of way. 

I found a thread that discussed the exact same problem: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4182255

If you had any previous experience with a similar problem any help would be appreciated. 

profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi again,

I would recommend getting in touch with the Sony Support team for further advice on this here.

Best wishes,

Sean