Join now - be part of our community!

Nex-5 Wishlist for the next firmware update!

profile.country.sv_SE.title
jonasembring
Visitor

Nex-5 Wishlist for the next firmware update!

Hello Sony!!

Im actually addressing this directly to Sony as a wishlist for the next Nex-5 firmware update from v3 to v4. People can join this tread writing your special wishes for the next update. I guess there is no guarantee that Sony will listen. But I will try to get my voice heard.

Im working as a professional film director and still photographer. Im using my Nex-5 camera as a very good complement to my Nikon and professional film cameras Im working with. I am very satisfied with the Nex-5 camera and is actually planning on using it on a short professional documentary Im making. I only missing some small details in the new firmware update v3.

My wish list for firmware update v4:

- The possibillity to program button B or C for choosing AF, DMF or MF

- The possibillity to program button B or C for a PUSH AUTO button for the MF mode, as on several Sony videocameras. This would help A LOT in the workflow with both still photography and filming. In the film mode another solution may be really nice. That you could use the second step on the main trigger as a PUSH AUTO button in MF mode.

- The possibility to change where you set the focus (Center, multi etc) in the film mode.

- The possibility to over or under expose more that 2 steps on the expo compensating button. At least 3 steps or more.

- In the ISO AUTO mode, I would like to see on the display what ISO the camera are using. Or be able to program what ISO range the camera should work with.

My wish list for the camera in general.

- A solution for a long lasting battery. Maybe an external battery that you connect the same way as you connect the power cable.

Hope to get my wishes heard. Best regards / Jonas Embring, Sweden

Message was edited by: StartTheCar

50 REPLIES 50
profile.country.nl_NL.title
robox3000
Visitor

My #1 request is also a Hotshoe Adapter. With the bigger lenses it's a necessity.

my #2 is also more bracketing range options - rather than just .3 or .7 as well as 5-shot and 7-shot bracketing options.

profile.country.GB.title
GreggLonewolf

I'm also looking to use the NEX as a compliment to the 'professional' camera equipment I use.

I work on commercials and features and the new chip (23.4x15.6mm) is very close to the size of 35mm motion picture film (24x18mm) - closer than a Canon 7D, in fact.

In addition, the ability to use interchangeable lenses (with an appropriate adaptor) means we can use the NEX camera as a video viewfinder with PL mount film lenses such as Cooke S4s and the RED camera lenses.

(You also don't need to remove the mirror shutter, as you do with the 7D, so if Sony play their cards right they could trump the Canon camp on video functionality hands down).

My only gripe is that Sony promised the following with version 3 of the firmware:

Maintaining the aperture setting in the movie recording mode
HD video can now be shot while maintaining a constant aperture setting.

I've tried this, but as I pan around light and dark areas of a room the camera still seems to automatically adjust the aperture, shutter, or something so that the image gets brighter and darker.

Call me old fashioned, but I'd love to manually control the aperture and shutter, ESPECIALLY WHEN SONY SAY THAT'S WHAT THEY HAVE DONE WITH THE LATEST FIRMWARE.

So, my first wish for the next version of the firmware is to do what they promised in the last one and sort out full manual aperture control whilst shooting video.

NEXT I'd like the ability to shoot 1920x1080 in Progressive or Interlace format.

I've heard that the AVCHD video format is actually recorded in progressive format and then bundled into an interlace wrapper when the video is saved.

Give us the option to shoot progressive or interlace and I'll be a happy man.

Also, the option to shoot 1280x720, or 720x576 (both interlace or progressive) would round out the NEX as an exceptional video camera so, come on Sony, give us what we want, rather than some strange pseudo-camera.

Here's hoping the guys at Sony actually look at these comments and listen to what we'd like on future firmware updates.

Message was edited by: greggsmith

profile.country.en_GB.title
StartTheCar
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Just so you are all aware, threads and comments like this one are noticed, and your feedback is always passed onto the NEX and Alpha product team; so keep them coming.

While I am not in a position to guarantee fixes, solutions or new firmware, I can assure that your wish lists and general feedback will be read by my colleagues in the product team.

I know they really do appreciate you taking the time to bring these points to our attention.

Best regards

Lee

georg_finch
Visitor

please add tethering. In all sorts of fields this would be amazing. I work in animation and the NEX would make the perfect stop motion camera as at the moment one of the major problems is DSLRs wearing out because of the mirror movement. So tethering with live feed to the computer would be great

profile.country.GB.title
GreggLonewolf

Tethering would be brilliant.

At the moment the USB socket only seems to support one-way communication, and even then doesn't support PICTBridge (why not, Sony ?)

Tethering would also make the NEX series great for astrophotography.

Seeing as the NEX is significantly lighter than any DSLR on the market it would be a breeze to attach to many telescopes, assuming you can find the right mount adapter.

On that side, does anybody know where to find a suitable mount, or do Sony have any plans to release one ?

For the time being you could try the Sony RMT-DSLR remote controller for capturing images (albeit not to a computer)

It's about £ 20 and can be forund here :

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?rlz=1C1CHIK_en-GBGB412GB412&q=RMT-DSLR1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=1...

Alternatively, there's a cheaper photo-only shutter release which you can pick up for around £ 5, here :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Infrared-Control-Milnolta-IRMT-DSLR1/dp/B002VM49KC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

Neither of these allow you to remote start video shooting and I would welcome the opportunity to do that.

It's a shame that the video functions don't seem to be fully supported at the moment and would really like to see full manual control over shutter, aperture, etc. whilst shooting video, along with the ability to remote stop start the video shooting functions.

If we lived in an ideal world I would really like to see a remote control that allows all of the above plus the ability to program timed intervals and various timer settings, as you can on Canon cameras.

Fingers crossed the powers that be read this and - hopefully - respond to our requests.

Gregg.

DavidKurkov
Visitor

Hey Sony,

Just one change from V3 to V4.

Please add in the ability to manually control shutter speed in Video recording. At least to be able to pre-set it. It'd have been great to be able to control it during filming. Hope V4 has this!

Thanks and btw great camera!

-David A. Kurkov

PS I'm from USA. Please make V4 work here too!

profile.country.GB.title
GreggLonewolf

UPDATE :

Having spoken to Sony Support apparently "maintaining the aperture setting in the movie recording mode" only works in Aperture Priority mode.

THAT'S WHAT APERTURE PRIORITY MODE MEANS, SURELY !

It's like saying the next version of firmware will allow "maintaining the shutter speed setting in movie recording mode" (but it only works in Shutter Priority mode).

THEY SEEM TO BE MAKING A SONG AND DANCE ABOUT NOTHING.

Maybe we should be more specific in our requests and ask for the ability to "maintain the EXPOSURE in movie recording mode by being able to manually control the shutter speed AND aperture AND ISO Rating AND Exposure Compensation".

While we're on the subject, why can't we adjust the aperture whilst in Movie recording mode ?

Sure, you've got Exposure compensation (which gives you two stops up or down) but why not just let us manually control the camera settings whilst using movie recording mode ?

In the old days you'd have the focus, zoom AND aperture (iris) controls on the lens itself.

Modern cameras tend to favour controlling the aperture through the camera itself - which is a shame as you're limited to adjusting by a 1/3rd of a stop at a time (as opposed to a 1/4 or more if adjusting by hand).

That said, I've put Cooke S4 lenses on the NEX-5 (using an adaptor) and even with the aperture being manually set on the lens, the exposure is still automatically adjusted by the camera as I pan across light and dark areas.

I'm pretty sure this is not due to a technical limitation of the NEX series, but is something the camera is designed to do.

Excuse the cynicism but I'm inclined to believe that Sony are deliberately holding these features back for the more expensive products in their range.

If not then please address these issues in the next firmware update :

FULL MANUAL EXPOSURE CONTROL WHILST IN MOVIE RECORDING MODE

(i.e.: being able to manually control Shutter Speed AND Aperture in Movie Recording Mode,using the Manual Program setting).

THE ABILITY TO ADJUST THE EXPOSURE AND / OR SHUTTER SPEED AND / OR ISO-RATING WHILST IN MOVIE RECORDING MODE

PICTBRIDGE SUPPORT FOR PRINTING, ETC.

TETHERING AND / OR A WIRELESS REMOTE CONTROLLER THAT ALLOWS REMOTE STOP / START OF THE MOVIE RECORDING MODE AND ADJUSTMENT OF EXPOSURE / SHUTTER SPEED / ISO WHILST IN MOVIE RECORDING MODE.

Here's hoping !

Message was edited by: greggsmith

softboxing
Visitor

I LOVE my NEX-5, but Please, Please.... give us the ability to bracket shots to at least 2EV stops.... 0.3 and 0.7 just isn't enough.

Thanks,

Simon.

profile.country.pl_PL.title
robot__
Visitor

req:

Are there really any chances for new f/w for NEX-3,5?

PS

• 3 options for histogram
    • ON
    • OFF
    • only during adjustments

(currently it disappears when changing EV or ISO :smileyhappy:... )

Message was edited by: robot__