Join now - be part of our community!

Nex-5 Wishlist for the next firmware update!

profile.country.sv_SE.title
jonasembring
Visitor

Nex-5 Wishlist for the next firmware update!

Hello Sony!!

Im actually addressing this directly to Sony as a wishlist for the next Nex-5 firmware update from v3 to v4. People can join this tread writing your special wishes for the next update. I guess there is no guarantee that Sony will listen. But I will try to get my voice heard.

Im working as a professional film director and still photographer. Im using my Nex-5 camera as a very good complement to my Nikon and professional film cameras Im working with. I am very satisfied with the Nex-5 camera and is actually planning on using it on a short professional documentary Im making. I only missing some small details in the new firmware update v3.

My wish list for firmware update v4:

- The possibillity to program button B or C for choosing AF, DMF or MF

- The possibillity to program button B or C for a PUSH AUTO button for the MF mode, as on several Sony videocameras. This would help A LOT in the workflow with both still photography and filming. In the film mode another solution may be really nice. That you could use the second step on the main trigger as a PUSH AUTO button in MF mode.

- The possibility to change where you set the focus (Center, multi etc) in the film mode.

- The possibility to over or under expose more that 2 steps on the expo compensating button. At least 3 steps or more.

- In the ISO AUTO mode, I would like to see on the display what ISO the camera are using. Or be able to program what ISO range the camera should work with.

My wish list for the camera in general.

- A solution for a long lasting battery. Maybe an external battery that you connect the same way as you connect the power cable.

Hope to get my wishes heard. Best regards / Jonas Embring, Sweden

Message was edited by: StartTheCar

50 REPLIES 50
profile.country.en_GB.title
Loque_k
Visitor

I like these suggestions from previous posts and would defintely enjoy using them:

- The possibility to change where you set the focus (Center, multi etc) in the film mode.

- In the ISO AUTO mode, I would like to see on the display what ISO the camera are using. Or be able to program what ISO range the camera should work with.

- Maintaining the aperture setting in the movie recording mode.

I would personally like more options for panoramic mode, altho I can understand the problem implementing these in a way thats easy to use for a non technical user, I would really like to increase the opportunities for taking panoramics in low light (as it just fails during the picture if attempted, and is also too dark anyway).

thanks for listening, and for an excellent product, loving this so much! I am making professionals cry with the pictures I just seem to accidently take (need to work on my framing and timing lots :smileywink:)

ikjadoon
Visitor

I would like AE/AF lock support, pretty please! :slight_smile:

Thank you,

~Ibrahim~

profile.country.GB.title
GreggLonewolf

Something else I've noticed is that when in 'live preview' (i.e the mode the camera is in before taking a photo or starting to record a movie) the size of the frame is different from that which will be shot when you start recording a movie.

Try this yourself - set up a shot, with a TV, or window etc, framed at the edges of the frame.

If you take a photo you'll get the whole image, but if you start recording a video the image will zoom in slightly, suggesting the movie mode does not use all of the sensor.

This seems to be unaffected by Image Size, Aspect Ratio or Quality (showing the same apparent zoom effect whether shooting L 12m, M 6.3m, or S 2.9m either at 16:9 or 3:2 aspect ratio in Fine or Standard mode, RAW or JPEG).

If this is the case, would this be something we could adjust in a future firmware update.

As I have said previously, the NEX sensor is almost the same size as 35mm motion picture film,so I have been using it as a video viewfinder on commercials and dramas very successfully.

Unfortunately, if we want to rehearse a move the change between the preview mode and the actual recorded movie mode means we don't get a full size image recorded - frustrating or what ?

If we can get this sorted in a firmware update that would be brilliant.

Finally, what are the chances of setting a user-adjustable Grid Line marker ?

The Grid Line (set for 'rule of thirds') is a great little feature and if we could adjust this (e.g. setting it up so we could see 16:9 full frame, 14:9 TV commercial safe and 4:3 web and non-HDTV safe) then that would be brilliant.

I know it's a reach, but if you don't ask you don't get.

Hopefully, this has already occurred to the bods at Sony and if enough people ask for the features they will include them in the next updates (if possible).

I'm loving this camera and can really see the potential it has.

Hopefully this won't be held back by poor implementation of the firmware.

As always, fingers crossed.

Gregg.

profile.country.cs_CZ.title
mkracik007
Visitor

#1 Sony Remote shutter release should work independently of selected Drive Mode, or at least work in Bracketing mode.

I bought the Sony Remote to use it as a shutter release to minimize blur caused by releasing the shutter by hand. But I found out that it does not work with Drive modes like Bracketing and Continuous, because you have to select Remote Cdr. as the drive mode.

#2 Displaying of current focal length.

Sony's aluminum lenses (I have 16mm and 18-55mm) look cool but they do not show focal distance on their focusing rings (focusing is probably only electronic, though the rings seem to have endstops). I have problems with focus when shooting landscapes. I set the camera to MF, on the camera's display in bright light everything looks sharp but later in the computer I find that the photo is blurred. I'd like to set focus to infinity or use hyperfocal focusing, but I don't know how to do it with Sony's lenses without focal length display.

StartTheCar
Contributor

I am a big fan of this thread.  I have stickied it and hope you will all continue providing your feedback which we will carry on passing onto the NEX product team.

Best regards

Lee

profile.country.GB.title
GreggLonewolf

Hi Lee

Nice to see the people who matter are listening.

Did you get any feedback from the meeting you had where you put the idea forward for some of the suggestions made here ?

As always, fingers crossed.

Gregg.

profile.country.hu_HU.title
parxem
Visitor

Hi Sony!

I love my nex 5, but i would be very glad, when the new firmware include some of this video features:

- Eu version can only shoot video with 25/50i. Would be great the optional 30/60i to.

- AVCHD 720p record

- 720p with 60fps (like sportscam) (Also 1280x720 in 24-, 25-, 30- and 60fps):)

- Some software image stabilization (video) for not oss optics.

There is any chance, that one day will be a newer official firmware for the Nex5?

Best regards!

Attila N.

profile.country.de_DE.title
svaens
New

Some of the points have been mentioned by other people on other forums.
And I have written then at dpreview as well.
Which i'm sure everyone knows about. I hope Sony reads that forum. If not, hopefully they read one on their own website.
These are features that I feel, as a developer myself, that would be simple, low cost (timewise) features to add to the existing menu system/structure. And yet, they should provide great benefit to its users.

1) allow the option (menu configuration) for greater resolution of panorama end result (currently, panorama is scaled down)

2) Intelligent auto has the 'background defocus' button. Why not add that to the 'Custom' list when in Program auto? Say for example, while i've configured the camera soft-key C to set HDR/White balance/ISO, the camera automatically adds the 'background defocus' configuration to the end of this list.
3) greater range for bracketing (similar as is possible in Auto HDR mode)
4) able to use self-timer with Auto HDR and bracketing
5) able to use the remote with Auto HDR and bracketing

6) A real movie mode from the menu/Shoot mode. This would allow the opportunity to enable parameter configuration, as well as providing the means to setup the start of video via remote control or timer (something that is currently not possible)

7) manual focus locking: when you lock the focus by pressing the shoot button half way, you notice all the other buttons lose their function. This is a great opportunity to provide a new function in this different context. What should be available at this point (when you've either focused manually in DMF or MF mode or even AF mode) and you are still in that focus lock with the button half way down, the Soft-key C (the button in the middle of the wheel) should then mean "lock focus". When you click on soft-key C button then, it locks the focus, and you can let go of the 'shoot button' and relax, with the focus fixed, and you can play with the other parameters. (I imagine, re-clicking on the 'shoot' button half-way would remove the focus lock)

profile.country.nl_NL.title
bartvani
Visitor

Hello!

I agree with you seventh wish! I would like to add that it also should have the ability to auto focus, using Nex+LA-EA1+Tamron lens. I tried it in shop, only Sony lenses do AF! The rest will NOT!

profile.country.GB.title
GreggLonewolf

According to sonyalphanex.blogspot.com the manual for the next firmware version is now available here :

http://www.filedropper.com/sonyalphanex-blogspot-com-firmware04-manual

If it's true then despite all the requests on this forum and elsewhere for really useful functionality, Sony have decided to add the following features :

• Picture Effects
    • Toy Camera - Creates the look of a Toy Camera photo with shaded corners and pronounced colors.
    • Posterization (Color) - Creates a high contrast, abstract look by heavily emphasizing primary colors.
    • Posterization (B&W) - Creates a high contrast, abstract look in black and white.
    • Pop Color - Creates a vivid look by emphasizing color tones.
    • Retro Photo - Creates the look of an aged photo with sepia color tones and faded contrast.
    • Partial Color (Red, Green, Blue, or Yellow) - Creates an image which retains the color selected, but converts others to black and white.
    • High Key - Creates an image with the indicated atmosphere: bright, transparent, ethereal, tender, soft.
    • High Contrast Monochrome - Creates an image with high contrast in black and white.
  • Manual Focus Aid
    • Peaking Level (High, Medium, Low, Off) - Enhances the outline of in-focus ranges with a specific color in manual focus. This function allows you to confirm the focus easily.
    • Peaking Color (White, Red, or Yellow) - Sets the color used for the peaking function in manual focus.

Are they having a laugh ?

The NEX had the opportunity to be a REALLY good camera and could be better than the Canon and Nikons of the world, but they insist on only releasing features that you would expect to find on a compact camera rather than a fully fledged DSLR.

If they keep aiming at the amateurs, then that's who's going to buy their cameras.

Seriously, Sony, try listening to your customers for a change and give us some useful functions rather than some stupid picture effects that no professional photographer would ever think of using.