Join now - be part of our community!

Nex-5 Wishlist for the next firmware update!

profile.country.sv_SE.title
jonasembring
Visitor

Nex-5 Wishlist for the next firmware update!

Hello Sony!!

Im actually addressing this directly to Sony as a wishlist for the next Nex-5 firmware update from v3 to v4. People can join this tread writing your special wishes for the next update. I guess there is no guarantee that Sony will listen. But I will try to get my voice heard.

Im working as a professional film director and still photographer. Im using my Nex-5 camera as a very good complement to my Nikon and professional film cameras Im working with. I am very satisfied with the Nex-5 camera and is actually planning on using it on a short professional documentary Im making. I only missing some small details in the new firmware update v3.

My wish list for firmware update v4:

- The possibillity to program button B or C for choosing AF, DMF or MF

- The possibillity to program button B or C for a PUSH AUTO button for the MF mode, as on several Sony videocameras. This would help A LOT in the workflow with both still photography and filming. In the film mode another solution may be really nice. That you could use the second step on the main trigger as a PUSH AUTO button in MF mode.

- The possibility to change where you set the focus (Center, multi etc) in the film mode.

- The possibility to over or under expose more that 2 steps on the expo compensating button. At least 3 steps or more.

- In the ISO AUTO mode, I would like to see on the display what ISO the camera are using. Or be able to program what ISO range the camera should work with.

My wish list for the camera in general.

- A solution for a long lasting battery. Maybe an external battery that you connect the same way as you connect the power cable.

Hope to get my wishes heard. Best regards / Jonas Embring, Sweden

Message was edited by: StartTheCar

50 REPLIES 50
profile.country.en_GB.title
chassisplans
Visitor

I second #1 above for the remote.  The remote should be just like pressing the shutter button in any mode.

I'd also add:

2. Better timer support.  Currently get 1 shot or 3 quick shots after 10 seconds.  How about the ability to set any number of shots with any delay between them?

3. More control over auto bracketing.

4. Hot shoe adapter or a real flash.  Current flash is totally inadequate.  Run a bigger flash off its own batteries.

profile.country.BG.title
Apostollll
New

How I wish Sony would let us control shutter speeds in video mode...:smileysad:

OleButt
Visitor

I would like to add my ha'pence worth.

I love the NEX-5. I have a Canon 5D with several L lenses for my pro camera and a 450D for family stuff but this is a great camera for low light, impromptu stuff . It shoots from the hip, above the head, round corners! and has good enough image quality for most purposes. The 450D is gathering dust now and I take this everywhere with me, even doing some pro stuff with it when I know I won't need big blow ups.

My point is, and I agree here with so many of the posts, that this could be a really great camera if it just addressed a few issues (and made up its mind what it wanted to be).

My top firmware issues are:

AE lock.
Remote shutter release should work with other drive modes, especially bracketing and video.
Bracket shots to at least 2 stops either side

profile.country.de_DE.title
svaens
New

To make up their mind what they want it to be...

yes, that is one of the key questions.

I hope sony realize, that if they want more interest in this camera, they have to make happy those advanced photographers interested in the kind of configurability that is available with DSLR cameras (and with a bit clever firmware modifications, absolutely possible with the NEX-5).

Targeting this camera at those point and shoot photographers looking to upgrade to a better camera (but still just wanting to do nothing but 'point-and-shoot') will put this camera in a bit of a dead middle space.

Why would such a photographer want a camera, which is, lets be honest;

a) much larger (with lens on) than something like a lumix TZ10 which makes fantastic shots and fits in your top pocket

b) has a lens cap you have to keep track of

c) has these extra parts, lenses, which if you're coming straight from point and shoot pocket cameras, you're scared of taking off, and when you do bring up the courage to do so, you get a bit of dust on the sensor which shows up in your photos, so you need to clean it, but you don't know how because the manual doesn't say much about it, and the dude down at your local camera store chain tells you to wipe it with methylated spirits and a cotton wool bud (yes, he did tell me this..... I did not do it... )

Rather, while it is indeed a great in-between for the learner, with all those tips and hints inbuilt in the camera, and does a great job with the automatic mode, it is, i believe, rather the more advanced photographers, or those beginners willing to learn and play around (like myself) who will be interested, on the condition that Sony is willing to listen to those users, and make those improvements which it obviously needs.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great camera, and I really like it, and Sony did great with v02 of the firmware.

I just hope that continues.

my 2 cents worth!

onon_onon
Visitor

Hi Sony!

Please add support to release the shutter via USB or HDMI cable. NEX-5 IR is fine, but it's slow. And NEX-3 doesn't even have an option.

You will make NEX 5 and 3 owners around the world cry tears of joy.

Thanks!

stevenrdowns
Visitor

In response to "onon_onon"...is the ability to release the shutter by USB or HDMI inputs even possible?

I'm not techy enought to know whether this can be done, but am very interested to hear. I bought the NEX 3, and no IR shutter release is a real pain for me. (And sadly not something i thought of before purchase.)

onon_onon
Visitor

It's just a software update to receive a signal from a wired remote and call the shutter release, so I think it's possible and kinda simple.

Sony must save me from doing this to my NEX:

http://vimeo.com/21547884

http://vimeo.com/21563444

stevenrdowns
Visitor

Thanks 'onon'...thats really interesting.

I love my NEX 3...but because of the lack of IR, and autofocus with the third party lenses...i'm considering selling it, whilst it's still popular and i can get decent money back for it...to put towards a more mainstream system.

Wired shutter release would be a great little fix...especially if so easy to achieve.

richg101
Visitor

Im currently using a Nex 3, firmware v4.  The camera is primarily used for short video productions.

My Firmware request for v5 is to please allow fixed ISO when in HD movie mode!

Even when set to a fixed iso for still photography, the HD movie mode automatically adjusts ISO while shooting.  This makes it hard to set up a scene with specific areas lit to make other areas dark, the result is a less dynamic scene due to the darker parts being adjusted so they are lighter and vice versa.

thanks in advance

Rich

Jay.Guadagni
New

Some sort of hot shoe adapter wouldnt be a bad shout! The standard flash just doesnt cut it....

Has anyone bought the new HVL-F20S flash...? anygood? :neutral:

Thanks,