Join now - be part of our community!

Nex-5 Wishlist for the next firmware update!

profile.country.sv_SE.title
jonasembring
Visitor

Nex-5 Wishlist for the next firmware update!

Hello Sony!!

Im actually addressing this directly to Sony as a wishlist for the next Nex-5 firmware update from v3 to v4. People can join this tread writing your special wishes for the next update. I guess there is no guarantee that Sony will listen. But I will try to get my voice heard.

Im working as a professional film director and still photographer. Im using my Nex-5 camera as a very good complement to my Nikon and professional film cameras Im working with. I am very satisfied with the Nex-5 camera and is actually planning on using it on a short professional documentary Im making. I only missing some small details in the new firmware update v3.

My wish list for firmware update v4:

- The possibillity to program button B or C for choosing AF, DMF or MF

- The possibillity to program button B or C for a PUSH AUTO button for the MF mode, as on several Sony videocameras. This would help A LOT in the workflow with both still photography and filming. In the film mode another solution may be really nice. That you could use the second step on the main trigger as a PUSH AUTO button in MF mode.

- The possibility to change where you set the focus (Center, multi etc) in the film mode.

- The possibility to over or under expose more that 2 steps on the expo compensating button. At least 3 steps or more.

- In the ISO AUTO mode, I would like to see on the display what ISO the camera are using. Or be able to program what ISO range the camera should work with.

My wish list for the camera in general.

- A solution for a long lasting battery. Maybe an external battery that you connect the same way as you connect the power cable.

Hope to get my wishes heard. Best regards / Jonas Embring, Sweden

Message was edited by: StartTheCar

50 REPLIES 50
profile.country.en_GB.title
asfoster
Visitor

Hi All,

I love my NEX-5 - I think it is a great camera - especially now that I have added the 18-200mm lense to my armoury. The latest firmware update is great with the added art features and improved manual focus aid (peeking).

However, like other posts here I think that the manual focus aid could still be greatly improved. I agree that when using the magnification aid (which is essential to get a crisp focus), having a zone in the middle of the frame that is magnified would be far better than magnifying the entire image as you would then not loose your frame-composition.

Also, I like, on occasions, to take time-exposures to get blurred effects on running water but this is not possible with the NEX without the aid of a phyical device (eg ND filter) to reduce the amount of light hitting the sensor. On a bright day, it's just not possible to crank down the shutter-speed to say 1-2 seconds or more without gross over-exposure - even with minimum aperture (high F number) and minimum ISO (200). On my old Canon PowerShot G7 there was a ND filter option built-in which worked really well for getting lower shutter-speeds. So my request is for a ND filter (perhaps at various levels) - this would be a good addition to the built-in tool-kit and would sit well under the "Brightness/Colour" options.

Looking forward to the next frmware update and I hope that Sony takes some of our suggestions on board.

ASF

profile.country.nl_NL.title
robox3000
Visitor

Is it possible to expand the Picture Effects available on the NEX-5 to  include the effects that are available on other NEX models, such as HDR   Painting, Soft Focus, Miniature, Rich-Tone Monochrome?

cameradude366
Visitor

Sony,

There is only one thing that I would really want to see in the next update, and that is a built in time lapse or intervalometer function. I not only believe that this would keep Sony up to date with other similar opposition  products, but would give a great addition to the already fantastic function the Nex already has.

Come on Sony, listen to you're customers as we have handed over our hard earnt money for your products.

I hope you listen, cameradude366

profile.country.GB.title
GreggLonewolf

I'd like to see the following added to the nex NEX-5 firmware update :

A WISH SWITCH which grants you three wishes, one of which is to turn my slightly retarded NEX-5 into something that really can act like a true compact DSLR, either that or it transforms my camera into a jet plane which will fly me to a tropical desert island for a luxury holiday.

Sounds crazy ?

Let's face it, the guys at Sony don't seem to be paying any attention to any of our 'serious' requests, so I thought I may as well go for broke in the hope that they might try offering us the kind of support that we - and the camera - really deserve.

:wink:

lochris58
New

Hi,

im a new user of the NEX5 and while i like the camera a lot i do feel very strongly that the drive mode description of "continuous self timer" is misleading. To me, it implies the ability to continually take timed pictures [ie timelapse] as opposed to taking 3 consecutive images after 10 secs. [3 images is surely not continuous ? ] As a feature, i would have thought this would be fairly easy to impliment and would place this product in a class of it own.

Please implement or revise product description.

Mick2011
New

Hi lochris58, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

The term 'self timer' is very much standard across all manufacturers to signify delayed shutter release, based on the idea that you use it to take self-portraits. 'Continuous' refers to the camera's shooting mode in which it takes a limited number of shots for as long as the shutter is held down.

Timelapse photography is already possible with the NEX-5 if you use an intervalometer, so I'm not sure it would ever become built in to the firmware – although you never know!

Sony doesn't offer an IR intervalometer, but there are a number of DIY solutions around and some affordable 3rd-party products such as this one are well worth checking out: http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentled/auto.htm

Hope that's of some help.

Mick

profile.country.pt_PT.title
joelcardoso
Explorer

It would be very usefull if our NEX has some predefined focus distances like 0,5m/1m/3m/7m/infinity.

(I want to know how can I focus to infinity with no light.
Example: star shooting, since it cannot get a bright point to get focus.

The same way with manual focus since I cannot see any bright point in the sky at night.

Is there any way to shoot stars nicely!?

I can point to the moon and get focus. But when there is no moon??)

profile.country.sv_SE.title
slaskvideo
Visitor

Nex 5N or 7

Be able to swtich between 24fps/25fps  50fps/60ftp  in 1080p (PAL NTSC) instead of having a US or European version. Then might buy the camera. Also, if a possibility to size down to 720p then also look over possibilites to crank the frame rates beyond 60fps.

profile.country.fi_FI.title
ledelectronics
Visitor

Trigger VIDEO RECORDING on/off and shutter release on Sony NEX-5 and NEX-7 cameras by CAMremote-2:

Link has been removed due to it promoting a commerical business which is not allowed on the forums

This is the first device in the world which is able to trigger video recording remotely!

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Message was edited by: -Cass-

profile.country.ru_RU.title
aleksey_ka
Visitor

I'm using my NEX-5N for astrophotography. The sensor is great, the size is right. There are many things in the camera that are clearly done with this kind of usage in mind. But to make it a still better competitor in the field with Cannon and Nikon DSLRs the following features would be invaluable:
     1) Longer autimatic exposures (before BULB): ..., 60", 120", 240", 480", BULB
     2) Longer series in drive mode: 10s / 5 shots, 10s / 10 shots, 10s / 25 shots, 10s / 50 shots
     3) Enabled IR Remote control in drive mode
     4) Camera remote control from computer would be also great as many people in the thread have already requested

To keep the user interface concise the above features could be hidden by default and turned on by a single switch in the camera settings like: "Astrophotography Mode", "Long exposure photography extentions"...

The first three items seem simple enough for a firmware update )