Join now - be part of our community!

Paying to repair my Carl Zeiss 85mm 1.4 lens - something money can't buy

sitregi
Explorer

Paying to repair my Carl Zeiss 85mm 1.4 lens - something money can't buy

In November time, one of my trusty A900 bodies (I have two) stopped working. More precisely, the mirror fell off. So I set about sending it off to the official Sony repair centre in Wales. Given I was paying for the courier service, I thought I'd include a lens that also needed looking at. Not a major issue, but I had noticed my Carl Zeiss 85 1.4 wouldn't focus to infinity a while before and thought I'd kill two birds with one stone. Inifinity focus isn't so crucial since it's mainly for portraits at 2-5 metres but worth getting done. So I packaged them up and sent them in.

Shortly after, I recieved a call from the repair centre with the estimate and request for payment and promptly paid the 108gbp for the A900 and 147gbp for the lens. It's not cheap, but equally not so bad for a flat rate service. 

A few days later, I recieved a phone call asking for proof that the lens was less than 5 years old. I stressed I had paid and was not trying to claim on any warranty but they insisted. Apparently the part can't be sourced and so a replacement would be offered, but only if I can prove it's less than five years old. Unfortunately I can't find the reciept anywhere, though I do know it to be less than five years old based on the date I bought my A900 (I know it was after that purchase). Sony claim they can't identify when it was sold and don't trust me that it is less than five years old. So apparently my only option was to recieve the 147gbp back as refund along with the uncorrected lens. I've asked them to escalate it and provide information of how/who I can complain to, but 4 weeks later and still no word.

What can I do? Why can't a current lens be repaired - at cost - and how else can I prove I bought it when I did? Very very disappointed with the service. While the value of the item shouldn't make a difference this is a very expensive lens which is still currently for sale, yet Sony can't repair it. Doesn't bode well for anyone considering investing in Sony alpha lenses and certainly has made me think about my future with the system. Having invested as much as I have (16-35CZ, 16fish, 24-70CZ, 85CZ, 135CZ, 70-200G, 70-400G II, 2 x A900, 1 x A77, 2 x HVL58...) it's expensive to leave, but perhaps further investing is dead money?

Also, I'd like to add as an unrelates issue, I was very shocked that when the A900 repair was going to take longer than the 5 day turnaround, that the 'guarenteed' loan body offered was an A37. I presumed the loan body guarentee was to help professionals who may rely on their camera for work. Fortunately I had my spare A900 but to be offered an entry level APSC body as a temporary replacement for a semi-pro level (and previously flagship) full frame body is really shocking.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

This is very worrying.

All my kit is Sony. Can you recall how you paid for it, maybe your bank/credit card statement may show the transaction. Did you register it with Sony once you bought it? (Not that they take any notice of registration, it may help your case).

What does it matter when or from where you bought it. If it is a genuine Sony lens they should be worried why it failed and be doing their best to get it sorted so their brand name is back out on the street being seen.

If it's a fake, then OK, ask questions. I'm sure you'd want to know.

Honestly, Sony does nothing to help it's popularity. I hope you are sucessful and manage to get the lens repaired, it is an awesome piece of kit. Yes I have one.