Join now - be part of our community!

SLT-A65 Freezes

profile.country.en_GB.title
mawrigh4875
Visitor

SLT-A65 Freezes

Hi all. I purchased the A65 in April and am mostly very happy with it but on a couple of occasions the camera has frozen and become unresponsive. Then twice yesterday the shutter released but was immediately followed by a " camera error " message on the screen. Now every time these " glitches " have occured a simple switch off pause and switch on has solved it but on a £750 piece of kit I dont want to be " re-booting " it every outher time I use it or miss that sweet shot because of an intermitant fault !

The firmware was updated as soon as I got the camera so I was wondering if any other A65 users had experienced similar issues or will I have to bite the bullet and send it back to Sony and be without a good camera for a few weeks ?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated !            :smileygrin:

11 REPLIES 11
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello mawrigh4875 - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

As you have indicated that it is under a year old, I would advise you to get in touch with Sony customer services to see if this is something that can be sorted out by the warranty. Full contact details are available here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/651957#651957

I would suggest this route as there may be known issues that can be dealt with remotely before having to send it in. If however this indicates a physical fault, it would be safest to get it checked out by Sony.

Thanks,

Simon

mawrigh4875
Visitor

Thanks for the quick reply Simon.

I actually sent off an e-mail to customer services before posting here I will let you know what they say when I get a reply.

I initialy contacted the shop I bought the camera from but although they said that they had sold a lot of this model they had not had any problems. That is why I thought I would cast my net a bit further as I have had a lot of luck with problem solving of my other hobbies from forums.

Here's hoping it's a simple fix !     

Almsoo7
Visitor

Hi there, I had a similar problem today. I bought my the SLT-A65V (body only) in Glasgow back in November 2011 but this problem only surfaced today. Apparently, sometimes when I switch on the camera the body makes some noise similar to when i press down the shutter button, and the shutter just keep opening and closing, jamming up the whole camera which prevents me from taking any photos. I actually live in Singapore and my receipts were all mailed before I left for VAT-refund. Now, I'm afraid I am not covered under any warranty should the problem be due to a mechanical fault rather than the firmware fault.

makazo
Visitor

I also had this problem with my new sony a65. Removing and putting back the lens solved the problem. After that I did more than 1000 pictures and no problem. And after that, out of nowhere... camera error... :anguished:

Does anybody knows what is the cause of this problem

mawrigh4875
Visitor

Well I'm sorry to hear that others are suffering the same problems ! But it is a little comforting to know that I am not alone.

The shop where I purchased the camera told me that although they had sold a lot of A65's nobody had complained of any problems. How many and how honest the reply I don't know but you have to trust somebody.

The reply from Sony was to remove the battery, then reinsert and if it happened again to book it in for repair !

Now on this forum I see that mprmax is on his third A65 and still suffering the same problems. This is making me nervous of what may be to come !

So far " touch wood, fingers crossed and three hail-mary's " the incidents have not reoccured. But even if I am lucky I will be following everything that transpires on this forum !  :wink:

Good luck to all.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello to everyone :slight_smile:

I have seen a couple of new faces added to this discussion. Because these all seem to be ending up with a 'Camera Error', I am going to escalate this thread to Customer Support to see if there is any guidance that they can give me. As soon as I hear anything, I will relay it on here.

Thanks,

Simon

Almsoo7
Visitor

same here, I just sent my camera for repair yesterday and awaiting for an answer. Re-inserting the lens should not be the long term solution if this problem happens frequently. Hopefully Sony can really look into the matter because it could be an inherent manufacturer or design fault.

Almsoo7
Visitor

I just received word from the service centre. Details can be found in the following thread: https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/794748 but basically, they found nothing wrong with the body and suspected it could be the lens itself. I'll need to head down to the service centre and try out with my lens another day.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again to you all :slight_smile:

mawrigh4875 - There are now support staff at Sony who are aware of this forum thread and so, if you want to get in touch with the Customer Service centre and book your camera in for a repair/inspection (including your lenses so that they can see exactly where the problem is occuring) and let me know the job number, I can make the relevant people aware of the repair job.

Just in case you need the contact details, they are all available in this forum thread:

http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/651957#651957

Thanks,

Simon