Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A7R3 software update using Mac M2

profile.country.GB.title
graytaffy

Sony A7R3 software update using Mac M2

My Sony A7R3 has software version 1 and I need to update it to Version 3. I am using a Mac M2 to update the software. I have spent over 5 hours trying to download the software going around in circles. I followed the Sony instructions to the letter, even the instructions on changing the security through safe mode. The Mac is "seeing" the camera as it shows up in Finder. I have downloaded from Sony SystemsSoftwareUpdater, UpdateSettingTool and SSHelper200. Can anyone give me some advice or have similar problems. Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Just a question: do you have a ILCE-7RM3, or a ILCE-7RM3A? What is in the label under the body?

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Is your Mac running macOS 13 Ventura if so I don't think Sony have caught up with Apples latest OS.

I believe in the instructions for software/ firmware updates Sony mentions compatibility with macOS 12

Monterey, macOS 11 Big Sur and some older Mac OS 10.xx operating systems.

is the problem that the Sony Systems Software Updater Tool and other mentioned software is crashing.

If so this maybe happening as Sony may not have rewritten them for use in macOS 13 Ventura.

profile.country.GB.title
graytaffy

The camera is a ILCE-7RM3A.

profile.country.GB.title
graytaffy

My Mac OS is Ventura 13.5. When I get to the page where the Sony software is looking for the camera it comes up with a message that it cannot find the camera, but I can see it is connected to the computer in Finder, none of the softwares actually crashes. You are probably right that Sony has not caught up with Mac OS releases yet!

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

@graytaffy@danardeng (👋) asked about the exact Model because the A7M3A has no Updates...:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-7-series/ilce-7rm3a/downloads

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Fine, no update for your camera is available.

Enjoy your gear!