Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Alpha A65- "Camera Error" message

profile.country.en_GB.title
mprmax
Visitor

Sony Alpha A65- "Camera Error" message

I was wondering how many people have experienced the "camera error" message on the A65. I am currently on my third A65 after the previous 2 cameras developed this error. In both cases the camera developed the error after about 4,000 shots and would then pretty much continously fail in every mode except Hi-Speed Continous shooting. In all other modes the camera would seem to take an age to close the shutter and then display the "Camera Error" message and completely freeze up.

Removing the battery and waiting half an hour had no effect,

the instructions for a hard reset had no effect,

using a different memory card had no effect

upgrading the firmware had no effect

As I'm now on my third camera I have completely lost confidence in this camera, I'm also absolutely convinced it's an issue with the firmware as it makes no sense that the only mode that will reliably work is the high speed continous shooting mode. When the camera works I absolutely love it, but I'm so fed up with it that I already contemplating what to replace it with when the third camera fails (and I fully expect the third camera to fail as well in about a months time).

Surely Sony can do better than this! I would very much like to hear from Sony as to what this error means.

Mike

28 REPLIES 28
makazo
Visitor

In my case, after the error, I switched the camera off, removed the lens, then back, then on and everything works fine. Without removing the battery or the SD card... only removing the lens fixed the problem but until... next time.

Message was edited by: makazo

makazo
Visitor

This is what happens when taking a picture and camera error. Source - a german forum

Message was edited by: makazo

mprmax
Visitor

Sorry I didn't understand your post. What is the picture showing and how does that relate to the camera error message.

Many thanks

makazo
Visitor

After „camera error” if i remove the lens I see blades/curtain and normaly I should see the sensor!

Almsoo7
Visitor

Hi makazo, yea I had to remove the lens and put it back to solve the problem. But the problem comes back the next time I switched on the camera so I think it's the problem with the body and not due to poor alignment of the lens. I have since sent it for repair and now awaiting for an answer. Apparently, I was told that so far no one has encountered similar problems so the problem could probably be only within Europe. My camera body was made in Thailand. What about yours?

Almsoo7
Visitor

I just received word from the service centre. Apparently, they did not find any faulty mechanism with the body after performing tests on the shutters etc. It was also mentioned that the latest firmware v1.05 should not have this problem, thus maybe you guys might want to double check if your camera firmware has been updated to the latest one.

On the other hand, the person told me it might be my lens that may be causing the problem so I will have to bring down my lens another day for them to carry out the diagnostic tests. Will keep this thread updated a.s.a.p

makazo
Visitor

My camera was made in Japan. Also the lens. The firmware was 1.04 but I made the update and since the first day is 1.05. This is funny... if there is no faulty mechanism why does this happens? I read on a german forum that people were having the same problem with new cameras, but the a55 model and the service changed the shutter to solve the problem.

mprmax
Visitor

Whenever a service center suggest that you upgrade the firware it's just an admission that they don't know what the problem is (it's a bit like asking you to turn it off and on again). I'd already upgraded the firmware to 1.05 so I know that has no effect as I've had 2 cameras fail with the 1.05 firmware fail. The current camera which is in the repair centre is apparently being repaired and they've ordered a new part (don't know which part yet); but again I suspect this is like when you take a car into a repair shop and they start replacing parts without actualy knowing what's causing the fault.

Will keep eveyone informed of my progress, but I suspect camera number 3 will fail in a couple of months as well.

cmog12
New

Any updates, any faults found, in same situation, sony have twice said no faults found! cheers Cat.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello cmog12 - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I have posted a reply in the other thread that you have contributed to - please take a look there as I have requested some further information (feel free to reply in either of these threads).

Thanks,

Simon