Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Alpha A65- "Camera Error" message

profile.country.en_GB.title
mprmax
Visitor

Sony Alpha A65- "Camera Error" message

I was wondering how many people have experienced the "camera error" message on the A65. I am currently on my third A65 after the previous 2 cameras developed this error. In both cases the camera developed the error after about 4,000 shots and would then pretty much continously fail in every mode except Hi-Speed Continous shooting. In all other modes the camera would seem to take an age to close the shutter and then display the "Camera Error" message and completely freeze up.

Removing the battery and waiting half an hour had no effect,

the instructions for a hard reset had no effect,

using a different memory card had no effect

upgrading the firmware had no effect

As I'm now on my third camera I have completely lost confidence in this camera, I'm also absolutely convinced it's an issue with the firmware as it makes no sense that the only mode that will reliably work is the high speed continous shooting mode. When the camera works I absolutely love it, but I'm so fed up with it that I already contemplating what to replace it with when the third camera fails (and I fully expect the third camera to fail as well in about a months time).

Surely Sony can do better than this! I would very much like to hear from Sony as to what this error means.

Mike

28 REPLIES 28
Mick2011
New

Hi Mike, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I was about to suggest you tried a new memory card but I see you've already been there... are you sure the ones you've tried are genuine branded cards? There are a lot of fakes about, especially among the less scrupulous online retailers, whic could potentially provoke an error message.

I have to say, it sounds unlikely this would be the issue if you're getting 4,000 trouble-free exposures. I've escalated this to the support team and hopefully they'll be able to shed some light.

Cheers

Mick

mprmax
Visitor

Yep I've tried multiple cards all by different manufacturers and all are genuine top of the line. I'm not convinced it's anything to do with the memory card as the camera will happily snap in high speed mode using these cards; it just fails with a really annoying and completely useless "camera error" message in any other mode.

The fact that the camera wll happily snap in high speed mode but fail in all other modes also suggests that its software and not hardware. I did hear that you could get a "camera error" with certain Sigma lenses, but both lenses that were supplied had the compatible with alpha logo on the box.

As I've mentioned before this has happened with two Alpha A65's and I'm convinved that it will eventually happen with camera number 3 as well. The law of averages seems to suggest that either ther is a manufatcuring fault that has effected a whole batch of cameras (but if so where is the information from sony about this) or there is a fundamental error in the firmware for the camera. And yes I've upgraded to the latest version of the firmware and that did nothing.

Something is very very wrong in the world of Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
Sonylicious8
New

SONY I need HELP (sorry but i think i posted on the wrong thread earlier)

one of my friends dropped my Sony a57 on the floor but luckily no external damages have been made neither to the lens or to the body. The camera seems to work fine but an error seems to continuously appear on screen at all times and the flash sometimes acts up and doesnt take right away!! I tried initializing- taking out battery, changing memory cards but nothing.  What can I do??????

SOny a57 continuous Error.jpg

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hi Sonylicious8 :slight_smile:

If you take a look at the thread you have started about this problem, I have given some advice on there about what you can do.

http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/794727#794727

Thanks,

Simon

gimp69
Visitor

Do you have a Sony lens to try?

You said that "I did hear that you could get a "camera error" with certain Sigma lenses, but both lenses that were supplied had the compatible with alpha logo on the box".

Have you only tried Sigma lenses on it?  If so, then it's obvious where the problem is.

You have swapped everything except the Sigma lenses and regardless of the compatibility sticker, Sigma are notorious for giving problems.

Message was edited by: gimp69

Almsoo7
Visitor

I have a similar problem with the shutter also. This problem appeared after 8 months of usage, probably more than 2000 shots. The shutter hist keep opens and closes by itself as though there's some misalignment or gearing problem. I'm afraid I'm not covered under warranty as I bought the product within UK but reside in Asia.

makazo
Visitor

I also have this problem.

-removing the battery and waiting had no effect,

- a hard reset had no effect,

- a different memory card had no effect

Only removing the lens worked for me.

What is the cause of all this?

Almsoo7
Visitor

Yea, when I removed the lens and tried to press the shutter button, the body was still able to detect absence of lens and there was't any problems. It seems that the body has problems aligning or configuring itself with the lens, or could it be a firmware issue? I'm not an expert in programming or mechanics but I suspect the continual opening and closing of the shutter seems to be due to an error in the logic mechanism which causes the system to go into an auto closed loop retry state. I'm heading down to the Sony Service Centre in a few hours time and will keep this thread updated.

mprmax
Visitor

Hi Almsoo7, Did you have to remove the lens whilst the camera is still switched on or was this all done with the camera switched off? I'm only curious because when the first camera went back to the repair shop it cam back with no fault found and I'm wondering if the repair shop reseated the lens and hence didn't see the problem.