Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Alpha A65- "Camera Error" message

profile.country.en_GB.title
mprmax
Visitor

Sony Alpha A65- "Camera Error" message

I was wondering how many people have experienced the "camera error" message on the A65. I am currently on my third A65 after the previous 2 cameras developed this error. In both cases the camera developed the error after about 4,000 shots and would then pretty much continously fail in every mode except Hi-Speed Continous shooting. In all other modes the camera would seem to take an age to close the shutter and then display the "Camera Error" message and completely freeze up.

Removing the battery and waiting half an hour had no effect,

the instructions for a hard reset had no effect,

using a different memory card had no effect

upgrading the firmware had no effect

As I'm now on my third camera I have completely lost confidence in this camera, I'm also absolutely convinced it's an issue with the firmware as it makes no sense that the only mode that will reliably work is the high speed continous shooting mode. When the camera works I absolutely love it, but I'm so fed up with it that I already contemplating what to replace it with when the third camera fails (and I fully expect the third camera to fail as well in about a months time).

Surely Sony can do better than this! I would very much like to hear from Sony as to what this error means.

Mike

28 REPLIES 28
profile.country.GB.title
Rookie44

Hi, I recently experienced the " Camera Error " message and I lost the bottom half of the LCD Screen at the same time while I was shooting in continuous mode. I havent had this camera very long and this is the first time it has happened. Although the camera froze and the image was affected the actual photos were ok. I just switched everything off a couple of times and switched it on again. Does anyone know why this happens and what I can do to stop it happening again. I am really pleased with this camera and dont want to have to change it again if this is going to be a regular problem.
Oddy
GG8425
New

Also getting the same message.  The camera is not old at all.  I'm "dead in the water"....not good...

Photojunkie
Explorer

I've just got the same message on myn 5yr old A55, and have checked several Forums which all said the usual stuff as well as removing the lens and replacing it after awhile. ...

On one, a user stated he had Solved the mystery by taking the lens off (Camera off!)  and found that the iris ring inside had misaligned itself and did not seem to be seated properly inside, so was not connecting properly with the lens.  He moved the iris ring manually although it seemed a little 'sticky'

- He then

" moved the ring a few times while holding the post in different positions until it seemed to move more freely.  Put the lens back on and it worked! ... One thing though-about a month ago I was suddenly unable to autofocus with my Sigma lenses only, and read that this could be caused by the post on the iris ring moving out of position.  I moved it very slightly with a pair of needle-nose pliers and that fixed the problem.  Seems to me that the ring is failing..." 

I don't feel competent to do this myself, but I now have a possible solution to give to my Camera Repairer when I take it in!  .. Good Luck!

profile.country.GB.title
gordale47
Explorer

Even four years on this message is appearing (SLT-A99V) and Sony are denying it's existence....this apparently is not a known Sony error despite the Sony Community Forum being used to try to find out from SOny what the error means....I agree it might be something in the firmware but asthere is no actual error number we will never find out.....confidence in Sony kit badly shaken....

Gordon Dale

Tags (1)
ecoclimax
New

Same story. The camera developed the error after about 4,000 shots

profile.country.GB.title
NoDak_Gigi
Explorer

Hi All, I have a Sony Alpha A65 and have been also getting the 'Camera Error' message while shooting.  The camera locks up, and the shutter freezes.  The camera screen goes blank with the 'Camera Error' message on the screen.  I'll normally turn the camera off and back on and after a few mintues I'm able to shoot again - but not well.  The camera is slow.  Many times I can't take a photo at all.  The shutter freezes completely and I can't even push the button to take a photo.  I can't shoot in high speed or the 10 frames/sec at all.  That is not even an option for my camera anymore.  

I recently attended my sister's wedding.  She wanted me to take photos and I was SO NERVOUS my camera would fail me.  I went to the wedding with a fully charged battery, brand new high quality memory stick and used my Tamron lens.  To be honest, the first hour I was shooting, I had very few problems.  But as the night progressed, my camera responded less and less.  The shutter became slow.  The 'camera error' messages started to appear.  The differences between the beginning of the night and the end of the night (that I could think of) are the following:

1) My camera battery was no longer fully charged, as I don't currently have a 'back up'

2) The lighting was getting darker/changed as less natural light was present.  

3) My memory stick was starting to fill up.  (Mind you I had a 32 GB and by the end of the night took about 400 photos, so I barely scratched the usage.)

4) If I tried 'Auto' the 'Camera Error' showed up nearly every time.  In 'Auto Plus' I got the camera error about ever 15-20 photos.  I shot in manual for the ceremony (early in the evening) and no problem.  But later, switched to the Auto modes with more action on the dance floor.  I was unable to shoot in the high speed 10 frame/sec completely.

So - I want to ask you, who have the same problem... 

1) Have you tried a completely separate fully charged back up battery?  Does that help?  Just take out the battery you were using and try a new one?? Wondering if this could help??

2) Do you notice the problem more in different lighting settings??

3) I don't think my memory stick is an issue at all

4) What settings do you get the 'camera error' message / locking up?  Is in in every setting?  Or more in Auto / Auto Plus?  What about manual?  And can you use your high speed 10 frames/sec setting?  

If we could all work together and narrow in on when and where the message is coming up, we might be able to fix this.  Wondering if I should try a new battery... ?  Or if that won't fix anything, since I have gotten the 'camera error' message many many many times with a brand new fully charged battery.  

HELP!

profile.country.GB.title
veankar
New

Hi just wondering if you sorted the issue with error message? I'm having similar message.

profile.country.GB.title
gordale47
Explorer

I had to send back to Sony for repair. Unfortunately a diagnosis or cure was not divulged but the repair was successful
Hope this helps

Gordon Dale
paparatzy
New

Hi All, Just received this 'Camera Error' message on my a57. Can't access anything (menu's etc) on my camera, screen is just locked with the message. Tried all the usual stuff, several cards, lenses, batteries etc. I do hear/feel the anti dust vibration kick in when switched on, the '@' logo flickers on then the error message comes on and that's it. Any updates on the problem welcome before I bin it and start saving again...