Join now - be part of our community!

1 Day Old Sony VAIO Freezing (vpcee2m1e/WI) !

profile.country.en_GB.title
rostron1983
Visitor

1 Day Old Sony VAIO Freezing (vpcee2m1e/WI) !

Just purchased a brand new Sony Vaio ( vpcee2m1e/WI ) after booting windows 7 the whole system freezes " locks " within a couple of minutes. I have tried updating the hardware but don't get chance to do anything. The mouse is also frozen and the only keys that respond is the power button.

Have tried to call Sony but they don't open at Weekends ? I wanted to return this to the store who refuse until Sony have investigated , I think this is really bad that a brand new laptop won't even work.

This does sound to me like a hardware / RAM issue but without having access to the OS I can't run any test's or software ? considering this should I have to ? after all its straight out of the box.

Im really cheesed off about this , I purchased Sony as they have already had a good reputation. I hope someone can answer this thread or advise on how to fix this issue. I'll be making a call next week to vent my frustration.

Pffft.

Regards

Simon

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Simon,

Did it work when you first tried it?  Have you loaded any of your own software onto the Vaio or is it freezing straight out of the box?

If it was straight out of the box then under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 it is the store you bought it from that must fix it, replace it or give you a cash refund.  Most stores are quite happy to break the law and try to fob you off with getting a repair from Sony.  This is unacceptable.

If this is the case go back to the store and ask them to get it working, replace it or give you your cash back - tell them your next stop is Trading Standards to report them.  If you paid by credit card tell them you intend to stop the payment until the matter is resolved.

If, however, if it was working OK when you first got it and you have loaded some of your own software onto the system, it is possible you have caused the problem in some way (loading programs not compatible with Windows 7 or a 64-bit system) then the store has the right to ask Sony if the fault was there at the time of sale.

If you have loaded software then you can try resetting the Vaio to factory condition.  Make sure you have mains power attached and this can take some time to recover - so do not stop the process.

1. Turn on your computer and press the F10
    key several times before the VAIO logo
    disappears.
    If the Edit Boot Options window is
    displayed, press the Enter key.
  2. Select Start recovery wizard and follow the instructions on-screen.

If this doesn't work, you may have to speak to Vaio Support on Monday.

Have a look at your Recovery Guide here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Manuals/RecoTS/2010Q2_TRG_EN.pdf

:neutral:

rostron1983
Visitor

Hi , It worked for about 2 minutes after that it froze. I did try to recover the OS back to the original manufacturer stage by using ALT+F10 which restored windows 7 etc.

After about 15-30 minutes and without installing anything besides connecting to the internet it started to freeze , each time windows 7 boots it gets to the desktop and everything just locks up which forces you to restart using the power button.

I will ring Sony tomorrow and see what they have to say but it shouldn't be doing this and your right the company which I purchased it from should offer a refund.

thanks for your response.

Alsesha
Visitor

Hi there,

I would like to know how you got on with Sony!

I also bought a new laptop recently. (VPCEB4JOE/WI) Upon the inital start up i had the same problem. The screen just freezes. I took it back to the store and was told to do a system restore back to factory settings, even though it freezes on the inital set up.

This is did, but still had the same problem. I finally got an exchange unit and goodness me, if the new unit doesn't do exactly the same.

I have now lost all confidence in Sony.

I think i am going to try for a full refund.  That should be an interesting conversation with the store.

Let me know what Sony have said, if possible.