Join now - be part of our community!

how can i remove win7, install winxp 64bit prof., but keep win7 recovery on HD, so i can go bk

profile.country.en_GB.title
jamdown2010
Explorer

how can i remove win7, install winxp 64bit prof., but keep win7 recovery on HD, so i can go bk

hello all

i would realy like to get rid of windows 7 and replace it with win xp 64b profesional , but leave the door slightly ajar so that i can quickly go back to win 7 if i need to.

is there an easy way?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Unless you physically destroy the Recovery Partition by formatting the entire hard drive, it should survive a normal XP install which will just format the Windows partition.

In addition, you can always make a couple of sets of Recovery Discs using the Recovery Centre - just in case!!

:wink:

profile.country.pl_PL.title
migsfagyan
Visitor

hi all,

my sony vaio has a windows starter, and i want to change it to windows xp pro, but when i try to install the windows xp pro i am encountering windows error (blue screen). thus any know how can i install the windows xp on my sony notebook?

thank you very much.

migs

jamdown2010
Explorer

thanks Blen

i cannot see the recovery partitian when i do a expand, windows 7 is on c: but the other partitian does not show..

i take it that i would first (i have got recovery disc) format the c: drive which would wipe win7 but leave the recovery partician alone, then go ahead and install xp hope thats right. i dont remember where i have read or heard this and it may bb wrong, it is that windows 7 will not allow an install over it as it is (off topic coment  why on earth does this page keep moving up past the writing window in without prompting thats yet another niggly things i dislike about win7, small thing i know but.... ) treated as a downgrade any thouhts?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The Recovery Partition is a hidden partition.  To see it: -

1. Click on Start

2. Enter diskmgmt.msc into the search field

3. The file will appear in the box, just click the file to open the tool.

You should be able to see the hidden Recovery Partition - leave it well alone if you want to keep it.

If you cannot overwrite Windows 7, then just format C:\

You will not be able to install XP on a SATA hard drive because XP does not support SATA HDDs.  You will have to load the SATA drivers during the XP install by pressing F6.
Try Google for 'Installing XP on a SATA Hard Drive'
Alternatively you can make a slipstreamed XP Installation disc with all the drivers included using nLite: -
:wink:

profile.country.BE.title
cfwentz
Explorer

Buy yourself a new Harddisk is the easiest way !

jamdown2010
Explorer

thanks again Blen
really useful information, wish i had known that before i upped and purchased the xp i am starting to get newbie feet, i guess these SATA drivers can be put on a memory stick and just be loaded when needed.
may in the end just use win7 and hate it or give it out to one of the computer shops in the area.
thanks for the help
almost forgot ps : does a xp compatible hd (ide?) use the same connectors as SATA if i chouse that route?
my laptop is a vpcee3zoe
Message was edited by: jamdown2010

Message was edited by: jamdown2010