Join now - be part of our community!

How to verify battery problem? Is the reason in the battery or laptop?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
sathyy
Visitor

How to verify battery problem? Is the reason in the battery or laptop?

Hi All,

I have a VAIO VGN-CR11S/W which I bought 4 years ago. Somewhere at the end of summer, my battery stopped working. I took the battery off (was working fine then) and used the laptop without a battery for a couple of weeks and when I put it back, it didn't work anymore. How can I determine whether the problem is in the battery or laptop? At least the battery reading pins are clean and not twisted. I am not eager to buy a new battery if it eventually will not work.

I did already as troubleshoot adviced (checked the pins, that it´s properly locked etc.) but it still does not function.

Thanks in advance!

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Sathyy,

if your vaio is four years old & was working ok on the battery before you removed it then I would guess it's more then likely a battery problem..

You should be able to purchase a replacement battery from Vaio  support or possibly from one of Sony's authorised repair partners, to  find the contact number for Vaio support.

Open Vaio support, either by clicking Support at the top of this page or use the following link:Vaio support

Under Log-in option 1: Enter your vaio models serial number, which you should find on the bottom of your Vaio.

Then click Log-In

Once logged select Get In Touch

Then Click on the Out of Warranty tab, then Phone support.

To locate the nearest Sony service partner click on Out of Warranty Service tab

You  may find cheaper prices for a replacement battery via Google but be  aware than some retailers sell non Sony compatible batteries with the  same battery model number..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pachapm36
Visitor

I had the battery capacity reduce to a point where the battery needed replacement. I bought a Sony replacement. This is more expensive than "generic" replacements, but safer from fire.

If you know some one with the same laptop, you could try their battery for a quick replacement test.

Sony computers "talk" with the battery to check if a safe Sony replacement is used. If it is not a Sony battery the computer will turn itself off until you do as you are told and fit a Sony replacement!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb_sv8Wjnn0

sathyy
Visitor

My battery is the original one that came with the laptop. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who would have the same laptop to test the battery functionality.

I was thinking of going to a Sony Center if they could have a look?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Sathyy,

if your vaio is four years old & was working ok on the battery before you removed it then I would guess it's more then likely a battery problem..

You should be able to purchase a replacement battery from Vaio  support or possibly from one of Sony's authorised repair partners, to  find the contact number for Vaio support.

Open Vaio support, either by clicking Support at the top of this page or use the following link:Vaio support

Under Log-in option 1: Enter your vaio models serial number, which you should find on the bottom of your Vaio.

Then click Log-In

Once logged select Get In Touch

Then Click on the Out of Warranty tab, then Phone support.

To locate the nearest Sony service partner click on Out of Warranty Service tab

You  may find cheaper prices for a replacement battery via Google but be  aware than some retailers sell non Sony compatible batteries with the  same battery model number..

profile.country.GB.title
ViaoRules
Explorer

Does it make any actual difference if a replacement battery is a Sony one or not please? There is a big price difference.