Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-A617S strange fan sound

SOLVED
profile.country.SI.title
pretnarm
Explorer

VGN-A617S strange fan sound

I an using this notebook for about 4 years. About 2 weeks ago fan started to making strange noises (usually when working on 100%). Noise is getting louder and I am afraid that fan will stop working.

The fan is cleaned every week with air duster.

I would be very very grateful if anyone could help!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

It's hard to say, if you are concerned then it's probably best to contact either one of Sony's authorised repairers.

To find contact details for Sony Vaio support..

Open Vaio support, either by clicking Support at the top of this page or use the following link:Vaio support

Under Log-in option

Under Log-in option 1: Enter your vaio models serial number, which you should find on the bottom of your Vaio.

Then click Log-In

Once logged select Get In Touch

Then Click on the Out of Warranty tab to locate the nearest location

or

Alternatively ask a local repairer for their opinion..

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi pretnarm,:smileywink:

The cause of your fan noise could be due to a build up of dust around the fan or possibly due to damage cause by using the air duster..

Have you noticed any performance change when using your Vaio.?

What is the normal running temperature of  your vaio..?

If your unsure, mobilemeter  is a handy application to use..

As you regularly clean the cooling  vents of dust with compressed air you may need to disassemble your vaio in order to deep clean the fan  and cooling vents.

Due to this being a Sony forum I'm not allowed to post a guide, however if you google for vgn-A.pdf you may be lucky enough to find a link..

profile.country.SI.title
pretnarm
Explorer

Hi, thalamus_

Sometimes notebook becomes very slow (like while playing games on fb :-), on java or flash)).

I am using NHC 2.0, standby temerature is around 60°C, when on 1000% CPU temperature goes up to 83°C, but this is since I bought it.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Sometimes notebook becomes very slow (like while playing games on fb :-), on java or flash)).

If you have noticed reduced CPU speed etc, then it's possible that your vaio is overheating and passive cooling is kicking in.. :thinking:

profile.country.SI.title
pretnarm
Explorer

Will try to clean it tomorrow.

Are air duster and a clean cloth good enough to clean vent system?

profile.country.SI.title
pretnarm
Explorer

Will first try to clean it myself (found .pdf guide on net :smileyhappy:).

Sony Vaio's aren't sold in my country (Slovenia), so there is no support or service available. (was bought in Germany). Unofficial service will probably be quite expensive :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Will first try to clean it myself (found .pdf guide on net ).

The disassembly guide should be useful..

Good luck, hopefully when you have a look inside you can get a better idea of what might be causing the noise problem..

profile.country.SI.title
pretnarm
Explorer

Disassemble notebook today.

There was quite a lot dust inside fan, I also clean fan blades with a brush.

The noise is almost gone, it appears only when CPU is at 100% and it is not as loud as before :smileyconfused:.

The temperatureis is also lower :smileylaugh:, max. 76°C (CPU at 100%) before it goes up to 83°C

THANK YOU very much thalamus_ for helping, don't know what to do without this forum :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Yes usually but it has been known on some occasions for 'dust balls' to become lodged around the fan area..

I still think the cause of your fan noise is due to a build up of dust around the fan.

If you believe your vaio is dust free you could try contacting one of Sony's authorised repairers.

To find contact details for Sony Vaio support..

Open Vaio support, either by clicking Support at the top of this page or use the following link:Vaio support

Under Log-in option 2: Select your model from the drop down list.

Then click Log-In

Once logged select Get In Touch

Then Click on the Out of Warranty tab

or

Alternatively ask a local repairer for their opinion, get a quote before parting with any cash if you can..:smileywink:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Disassemble notebook today.

There was quite a lot dust inside fan, I also clean fan blades with a brush.

The noise is almost gone, it appears only when CPU is at 100% and it is not as loud as before :smileyconfused:.

The temperatureis is also lower :smileylaugh:, max. 76°C (CPU at 100%) before it goes up to 83°C

I'm glad to know that disassembling your Vaio to clean the dust from around the fan area has solved your problem..

THANK YOU very much thalamus_ for helping, don't know what to do without this forum :slight_smile:

You're welcome pretnarm, happy that I could help..:smileyhappy: