Join now - be part of our community!

1.4 EXTENDER

profile.country.GB.title
DavidRigden
New

1.4 EXTENDER

Have seen reports that 1.4 extender affects the image quality. Would I be correct in thinking 61mp camera should not affect the quality enough to matter

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert

hello @DavidRigden 

anything added before the sensor or on to the lens will have an effect on the image.

there numerous information about this you can search on YouTube, but the gist of it is that
a 70-200 f2.8 lens with 1.4 extender and a 400 f/4 lens will have a small difference usually in favor of the more expensive lens. extenders also lowers your f stop depending on the lens used

profile.country.GB.title
DavidRigden
New

Many thanks I have bought same as 600 lens was too heavy for me. I am thinking my 70-200 2.8 and my 100-400 will replace it with extender on.

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

The image quality can’t be the same as a “original” 600mm vs 100-400 + x1.4.

for sure lighter and cheaper, but not the same quality.

If the x1.4 would be “ideal” you will have a 400mm quality enlarged, in the center area, as using a 61Mpx apsc. Also in this “ideal” situation you will have a worst image quality.

If your x1.4 is not ideal the image quality decrease more.

The best and cheaper suggestions is to crop your 61Mpx to apsc format (in camera or in pp).

Use the extender only if you need full resolution, but take in mind that your f5.6@400mm will extended to f7@400mmx1.4 and you’ll need to stop down more to compensate the loss in image quality of the lens.