Join now - be part of our community!

a7rii image blinking on monitor for over/under exposed shots

profile.country.GB.title
cjgo87
Explorer

a7rii image blinking on monitor for over/under exposed shots

Hi,

I've noticed that when I take a picture on my sony a7rii and view the image on my display on the histograms page the image has areas that blink that are indicating over/underexposure, but when I've opened the image up on lightroom the areas are not over/underexposed. 

Does anybody know why the blinking happens or if there is a way to change this setting to be more accurate?

Many thanks,

Chris

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

You know that the final image from raw data depend by the "profile" you choose. The profile change color render, but also the contrast.
Is possible that the profile integrated had more contrast than the one you use in your postprocessing workflow, so the highlight blinked in camera because in that profile push the contrast and burn high light, but in the raw they are save.

The same you can observe in "zebra" function: also if you set 100% highlight, in raw file you can save more than zebra say.

Anyway those are great tool that help a lot to save photos.

profile.country.GB.title
cjgo87
Explorer

Thanks for the reply! Do you mean the picture profile I choose on the camera? I opted for no picture profile.

Referring to the zebras I have heard that you can push a little beyond the 100% which I have it set to on my camera. I can't set it any higher if I wanted to.

I did wonder if maybe the display blinks because it is showing a jpeg image rather than the raw. I heard that from somewhere; that the monitor shows a jpeg.

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

yes and no.. the image you see on the screen of the camera is the raw with internal profile applied. Actually it’s the same as a jpg internally generate.

You can do not choose a picture profile but to display a raw a profile must be applied. As default the camera apply standard profile.

At the end: real-time zebra and blinking areas are instruments, and you have to know how they work to be able to use them. Now you know that even if zebra or blinking areas are on, you can try to rescue those areas with some hope to save the pictures, but if you want to be sure, you must stay away from those signs.

profile.country.GB.title
cjgo87
Explorer

thanks! that's interesting. So my understanding is that even though I chose no picture profile, a profile, most likely standard profile, was applied. Is there anywhere online where I can learn more about this?

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

🤷‍♂️ I don’t know 

profile.country.GB.title
cjgo87
Explorer

😪oh well. Thanks for the help anyway.