Join now - be part of our community!

avoiding skin shine from direct light

profile.country.GB.title
cjgo87
Explorer

avoiding skin shine from direct light

Hi,

I'm learning to shoot people in direct sunlight. One problem I noticed in one shoot is that I get skin shine. This happened when the light was coming in at roughly 45 degrees to the camera with the models face slightly angled towards the sun. Is there any way to avoid this? I thought I exposed well to avoid highlights. Do I need to underexpose more? I've attached a crop from an image I took. This is the jpeg straight out the camera. DSC08943 (2).jpg

Many thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

That's the reality. The light reflect in the skin like in all other glossy surface.
If you want to avoid reflection on the surface, you have to make matt that surface (first of all the skin must be dry, as second step you can try with makeup.. but it's hard).
Otherwise you have to save the high lights with a strong underexposure.
Or (imo better, but I don't know wich is the purpose of your project) avoid angulation in wich you have reflection.

profile.country.GB.title
cjgo87
Explorer

thanks. I did wonder about make up. I also found on youtube tutorials on how you can edit out the shine on photoshop but I usually like to capture everything in camera 😕

profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

Hi,

Could you share with us the setup that you're using?

On a side note, you might want to check these photos published by Sony with various shooting conditions and different camera/lens settings: https://www.sony.net/Products/di_photo-gallery/

profile.country.GB.title
cjgo87
Explorer

Hi,

thanks for the link! 

sure; I shot indoors on the ground floor. the sun is shining in through a window from a staircase almost on the 1st floor. The sun is hitting the subject pretty much at a right angle to the camera, and coming down from above roughly at a 50-60 degree angle. I'm shooting on a Sony a7rii with a zeiss 25-70mm, 4.0. Its so dark because there isn't much ambient light and the main source of light is the sun.