Join now - be part of our community!

Canon & Nikon lens adapters for Sony α7 and α7R Cameras

profile.country.en_GB.title
StartTheCar
Contributor

Canon & Nikon lens adapters for Sony α7 and α7R Cameras

Metabones lens adapters allow you to use your existing none Sony lenses (from Canon, Nikon, Leica etc.) with a Sony α7 and α7R and NEX cameras.  In the case of their version 3 Canon EF adapter, you even get to keep the autofocus and aperture control as well as retaining the Exif data from the lens; which is nice.

As this topic is coming up a fair bit, in reviews, lsuch as Phillips Bloom's review of the α7 and α7R,  I thought it might be an idea to create a dedicate thread about them; I know I had plenty of questions.

Below are a couple of independent reviews about the Metabones adapters available for Sony cameras.  If you have any questions, comments or first-hand experience of using these adaptors, please feel free to reply.

Many thanks

Lee

This first video is a quick review of the Canon and Nikon adaptors with the a7 and a7R.

This next video focusses specifically on the Metabones Canon EF adaptor.

4 REPLIES 4
StartTheCar
Contributor

Some great  images taken by Steve Huff on the α7 and α7R using a host of third party lenses.  In the comments field he promises a more detailed test of the adapters + lenses in the future, but so far he, and a few others, seem smitten with the adapter option.  What do you think?

There are some nice shots here of the camera with a Leica 50 Summilux attached; lovely.

Not that I am excited about the potential of these adapters or anything......

L.

StartTheCar
Contributor

Morning.  

More good stuff on the use of adapters with the α7 and α7R, this time from Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer Brian Smith  who give a comprehensive rundown on what is available and how they perform.

'One of the best features of mirrorless cameras is that, due to their thin body design, it’s possible to mount a huge array of lenses on them using lens mount adapters. As the first fullframe mirrorless cameras, Sony’s A7 and A7R are the only cameras that allow you to use virtually every make of 35mm lenses with the full angle of view for which those lenses were designed. In the process of writing my new book for Peachpit Press, ‘Sony A7/A7R: From Snapshots to Great Shots‘, I’ve been testing a wide array of lens mount adapters. Here’s a guide to the best lens mount adapters available for Sony A7/A7R:' ~ Brian Smith

The full article can be found here:

Lee.

Islandsnapper

I use the Metabones III adapter for mounting my EF lenses.

Think its a little overpriced due to the poor focussing you get - its a godsend for using my TS-E 24mm as its MF only anyway , just wish is was a bit more snappy with my Canon AF lenses. - Not worth the money IMO - Not sure what the V4 version is like.

James

profile.country.GB.title
Briopad

Hi.. I am a bit new to this modern photography so please be patient. I have an A7 which I love but with a pension Sony lenses are quite expensive. 

There seems lots of reasonably priced used Canon lenses for use with the adaptor but what spec lenses for Canon do I need to ensure full focusing and apertures as the FE lenses at present

Many thanks 

Brian