Join now - be part of our community!

Longer lens for Nex 5

profile.country.en_GB.title
wildraco
Visitor

Longer lens for Nex 5

Dear All

After a great first year with my Nex 5 I feel as though I want more and looked into getting the 18-200mm lens.  I wasn't exactly pleased with the price.  After a lot of digging I found many an old post and website saying that the options were very limited on how to improve your Nex 5 if you wanted to capture distant images.

However, these posts were old, in some cases two years old.  I see there is now options for mounts and and firmware may allow the use of other brands lenses being used on the Nex 5.  For me, it MUST still allow auto-focus to work, which I read was one of the down points from ages ago.  My fingers are crossed that thihngs have chaged and there is light at the end of this tunnel.  Can anyone shed any my way?

Thanks for your time.

Tags (5)
2 REPLIES 2
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello wildraco :slight_smile:

Do you already have any lenses and if so, could you let me know the make/model/fitting etc so that I can look into this further for you. You are right in saying that there are a multitide of adapters available but if you let me know which lenses you already have (if any) I can investigate further for you as you are right in saying that the key element will be the auto focus capability.

If you do not have any lenses at the moment, let me know if there are any that you have been looking at and as I say I will look into this further.

Thanks,

Simon

Mick2011
New

Hi wildraco :slight_smile:

If I read your post on another thread correctly, you already have an 18-55 kit lens.

All things considered, I'd suggest you investigate the SEL55210 Sony e-mount lens. It easily performs on a par with 18-200 'superzooms' and will cost you a lot less than any of them... alongside your existing lens, you have better zoom range with only the minor inconvenience of changing lenses to consider.

As ever, try before you buy!

Cheers

Mick

Message was edited by: Mick2011