Join now - be part of our community!

Problems after firmware update on Sonya7iii and 70/200lens

profile.country.GB.title
limcder56

Problems after firmware update on Sonya7iii and 70/200lens

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone can help me regarding the firmware update on the Sony a7iii as since I’ve done the update my camera is playing up saying ‘this function is not available’ when I’ve not changed a setting. It feels kind of slow and the focus is not great. I also updated the firmware on my brand new 70/200 f2.8 mark ii lens and I’m not sure if that’s part of the problem. 
Has anyone had any issues and how did you solve them? 
I’d be very grateful for any help as I’m shooting at my first gig on the 20th.

thanks

Linda

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Hi Linda, have you already tried to Reset the Camera?
profile.country.GB.title
limcder56

Hi Marino, I reset my settings and this didn’t  help so I’m now taking it back to factory settings to see how that goes. I will let you know. 
thank you for replying to my problem

Linda 

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

"back to factory settings"

Was what I meant... 🤗
profile.country.GB.title
limcder56

Hi Marino,

After I replied, I realised that’s what you meant. 😊

Update. I’ve reset my camera to factory settings, and been out with it and the 70/200 lens. 
I still feel something isn’t quite right when I focus on something even though the focus area is highlighted in green. I shoot in continuous drive mode a lot because of the movement of birds and usually get most of the photos in focus but it’s suddenly not happening! Is it the camera or the lens?
Maybe it’s me?  
can you suggest anything else?

thanks

Linda 

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

If you have any doubts (the Updates, you... 😊), perhaps the only way to remove them is to go to a dealer and ask to be able to try another Optic, that is the same or even different, just to understand how it works.

profile.country.GB.title
limcder56

Thank you Marino, that was my next thought as I’ve only had the lens for a couple of weeks it may be that if it’s not the firmware update. Hopefully they will have a magic wand and all will be fine. 🤞
Thank you for taking the time to help.

Linda

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

In the meantime, if I can think of anything else... But let us know how the situation develops.

profile.country.GB.title
limcder56

Thank you, if you do think of anything please let me know. 
I will let you know what happens. 

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Still getting the error message after camera reset?