Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A1 HDMI Lag

profile.country.GB.title
interceptor121

Sony A1 HDMI Lag

When using an external recorder or monitor there is a lag of around 130-135ms from reality.

I have checked that the LCD itself is behind reality a couple of frames so in 60fps something like 30ms however the HDMI port adds additiona 100ms to the equation

I have tried reducing the resolution and disabling audio recording all together in order to reduce the lag but it seems that no matter how I set the HDMI output the lag is not changed

Is there a way to reduce the delay on the HDMI port? This makes it not useable when using external monitors or recorders

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey interceptor121, there's no way to control the HDMI lag. But when did that start happening? 

Also, did you test different HDMI cables? 

In the meanwhile, make sure of the basics: 

Update the camera: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-1-series/ilce-1/downloads

Remove the battery pack, wait for about one minute, re-insert the battery pack, then turn on the power.

Initialize the settings. https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2040/v1/en/contents/TP1000384602.html 

profile.country.GB.title
interceptor121

Hi this is not a temporary issue but a feature aka the camera has HDMI lag

It appears the HDMI is fed on a 50/60 fps refresh and it is lagging 100ms further than the LCD regardless of which mode it is in.

The total lag from real time is 128ms where the LCD is 30ms off. Normally part of the lag is the audio / video sync however whatever option you choose in audio recording it makes no difference

I have opened a ticket and they have asked me to shoot an example video which I will do when I get back home

For reference my Panasonic GH6 has similar lag when recording however once you exclude audio from the HDMI output (not possible on Sony) the HDMI is very much in sync with the LCD.

I understand for a mirrorless camera it is not possible to have the LCD real time and 30ms is acceptable however 128ms is 1/8 of a second this is noticeable when you use your camera for fast moving targets

profile.country.GB.title
interceptor121

I raised a ticket and this is what I got back

Thank you for contacting Sony support.

With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony ILCE-1, kindly note that after rasing the issue to Sony engineers, they confirmed that this delay (~100ms) between subject and HDMI output is considered within specs.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.
Thank you for your enquiry.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi interceptor121, thank you for updating the thread, I believe that answers your question? 

profile.country.GB.title
interceptor121

Absolutely not

There are no specifications or information to say that there is a lag and how much is the lag. If I knew there was a lag I would have decided if to accept it or not BEFORE buying the camera

This is my response

Sorry but the delay is 130ms. The 100ms are the lag between the LCD and the HDMI which is the reason why I opened the ticket

I can understand that this cannot be real time but I see no reason why there should be such a delay between the LCD and the HDMI output

I would also like to know where are the specifications for this delay as I have not seen them. If they were clearly written I would not be contacting you

This is frankly not satisfactory a camera at this price point should do better than this
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey interceptor121, I understand your point, please let me know what is their response when you receive one. 

However, I can tell you this, if you believe you were mis-sold the product, try contacting your retailer.