Join now - be part of our community!

Sony a6000 - poor image quality or I’m a poor photographer

DonnaLB
New

Sony a6000 - poor image quality or I’m a poor photographer

Hello,
I’ve recently seen that the images aren’t as crystal clear as they should be on my Sony a6000 after I’ve transferred them across to my phone. When I zoom in on a headshot image, the eyes are terribly blurry! I use the Sony 50mm f1.8 lens most of the time and no matter how many YT videos I watch or read settings etc, I’m still not getting the eyes in focus. Am I doing something wrong? I feel like it. I even reset the settings on the camera and it’s still poor.
Someone please help because I love photography, but I’m close to giving it up.
2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @DonnaLB,

would you kindly upload some example images to the community here?

By doing so other community members (me included) can check the settings you used while shooting the images and advise you on what to do differently (if it is a settings issue).

From your explanation it sounds like you expose for too long, which causes the images to have so called "motion blur" which looks similar to not being in focus. It though is a completely different topic.

- Nic

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @DonnaLB,

@DonnaLB  wrote:
I’ve recently seen that the images aren’t as crystal clear as they should be on my Sony a6000 after I’ve transferred them across to my phone.
[...]
Am I doing something wrong?

Well, my first idea reflects your second question:

Did you set up your camera to take pictures using the best possible quality? You may want to use the "L" option as described here. If you've set the quality to "L" already you're images should be fine.

However, I somehow believe that the following might be the reason for the bad quality of your images when looking at them on your smartphone:

I guess that you used WIFI for sending the images to the phone, right? If so you'll need to take a look at the settings of PlayMemories Mobile on your phone. There's an option telling the App in which size images will be copied (original, 2 MP or VGA). If I remember correctly the default setting is 2 MP which results in a remarkable loss in quality.

So please check that setting and change it to "Original" as described here (see "note", a bit down that page).

Hope that this is of help.

Cheers

darkframe 

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)