Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A7IV Firmware update

profile.country.DE.title
Jules27
Explorer

Sony A7IV Firmware update

I downloaded the Sony firmware update 3.0 on my windows 11 computer. The file won't open, i would like to install the update to my SONY A7 IV using the USB cable connected to my PC: it is a BODYDATA.DAT file i can see on the PC with a white color and it won't open or run. I also tried Windows 10 but same issue. The file won't open.Screenshot 2024-05-13 172928.png

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Wait wait wait wait!

Why you are trying to open the file on your PC??

Please, read well the instructions on update page before to proceed

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Drag the firmware upgrade file onto a memory card, it must be put on the root directory (not into folder or subfolder). Put the memory card into the camera (Slot 1). Make sure the battery is fully charged.

Go into the cameras menu,

MenuSetupSetup OptionVersion and select Software Update.

Select Execute.

Please read all the instructions from this Sony support page.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-7-series/ilce-7m4/software/00288927

Tags (1)
profile.country.DE.title
Jules27
Explorer
profile.country.DE.title
Jules27
Explorer

Thank you for your replies! I completed the update using the SD card, I looked at a you tube video from SONY that showed that one could also update by connecting the camera to the computer with a USB, downloading the latest firmware and install it directly from the PC but i guess that's not working no adays.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

From the link I posted you earlier there is no mention of updating the  firmware by USB cable from a PC or Mac.

The you tube video you linked to looks like it is for previous versions of the Alpha 7, Sony may have removed the ability to update via USB on the Alpha 7 IV.

Did you get a printed manual with the camera, and does that have a section on updating firmware/ software.