Join now - be part of our community!

Think I may have messed up my sensor! :(

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Vargohoat
Visitor

Think I may have messed up my sensor! :(

Okay so I noticed some spots on my photos... but try as a I might I just couldnt get rid of these marks...  So I used a cleaning fluid and non static swabs... this got rid of my dust marks... but now I see there are little spots on the edges... they werent there before... have I really screwed up by using the fluid and leaving marks on the underside of the sensor filter? :cry:

before:

http://img283.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=94383_DSC05654_122_577lo.JPG

after:

http://img147.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=94386_DSC05688_122_386lo.JPG

Thanks guys

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi Vargohoat, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

It does seem that way, yes... though I doubt the spots are on the underside of the sensor, just stains left when the fluid you used dried on the surface :slight_frown:

All is probably not lost.

When you see 'blurry' specks like your first image, they're almost always lint particles or loosly-adhered dust which can often be selectively dislogded. When they look 'sharp' like you second image, it's more likely a stain that has to be wet cleaned. Again, selective cleaning is the best way. Global cleaning -– of the whole sensor – is much more difficult, as you've discovered.

Take it to a reputable camera store and ask them to wet clean the sensor for you. It should be possible to dissolve the fluid stains and restore the sensor to a clean state, but I'd leave it to someone who has a lot of experience with it. Might be worth letting them have a copy of that second image as a reference too.

Hope it works out for you.

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Mick2011
New

Hi Vargohoat, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

It does seem that way, yes... though I doubt the spots are on the underside of the sensor, just stains left when the fluid you used dried on the surface :slight_frown:

All is probably not lost.

When you see 'blurry' specks like your first image, they're almost always lint particles or loosly-adhered dust which can often be selectively dislogded. When they look 'sharp' like you second image, it's more likely a stain that has to be wet cleaned. Again, selective cleaning is the best way. Global cleaning -– of the whole sensor – is much more difficult, as you've discovered.

Take it to a reputable camera store and ask them to wet clean the sensor for you. It should be possible to dissolve the fluid stains and restore the sensor to a clean state, but I'd leave it to someone who has a lot of experience with it. Might be worth letting them have a copy of that second image as a reference too.

Hope it works out for you.

Cheers

Mick

Vargohoat
Visitor

Thanks so much for your reply mate, I will take it to jessops and leave the images on the sd card so they can see.

Thanks again! :smileygrin: