Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
mark-bo

I wish I had known about this additional resetting procedure for the touchpad remote last month after mine stopped working. I could only find the pairing options that didn't work. I think this highlights a need for an old fashioned printed manual with trouble shooting options for these complex tvs as well as a fuller description of the various options in each of the settings menus. referring to the online manual is not always easy to do when setting things up.

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

I have KDL50W805CBU. A week after the latest update these are the results.

Kodai works no lip synch or speed issues. The audio levels seems to have improved. Response is faster with the TV remote. No problem with casting. 

TV and Aux Audio system switches off immediately when the off button is pressed.

The following problems still persist which i hope will be solved in the next update.

HDD recording

Momentary blank screen when the guide button is pressed.

About 30s delay for the aux audio device to switch on even though they are connected via HDMI ARC.

Repeated on screen message stating 'screen format: full' while playing from Blu Ray. 

I have not checked all the functions 

Fenbops
Explorer

Decided I'm gonna take a hit and sell my 809C. Too many little niggly problems from turning itself on to audio out of sync and bigger issues especially when in using it with my PS4. This is probably my first and last Sony TV. Very disappointing. 

djadrianc

@mark-bo

Here's the manual you're looking for.

http://helpguide.sony.net/tv/caep1/v1/en/print.html

Available on this support page

http://concierge.sony.co.uk/support/EN/product/KD-55X8509C/?XID=M:Support_by_Sony_Applicatio
--

Thanks Adrian

Sent from my Mobile
mark-bo

@djadrianc wrote:
@mark-bo

Here's the manual you're looking for.

http://helpguide.sony.net/tv/caep1/v1/en/print.html

Available on this support page

http://concierge.sony.co.uk/support/EN/product/KD-55X8509C/?XID=M:Support_by_Sony_Applicatio
--

Thanks Adrian

Sent from my Mobile

Thanks Adrian for the Link

TrevorCStevens
Explorer

I was interested in Shalendran's comment about the issues with the Android TVs. I also experience the brief blank screen when hitting the guide button but I am assuming that the Youview guide will be completely different (similar to that on the BT TV system) when released in the early November. I don't have a blu ray player so can't comment on the 'screen format' message although have seen in briefly on some inputs. HDD recording is supposed to be available 'before 24th December' according to Sony site - we will see as they do say 'release date ... may change'!

In particular the note about the excessive 30 sec delay for sound to start on the HDMI/ARC audio device was of interest to me. I have experienced what appears to be a similar issue with my KD43X8309 and XT1 system since their purchase in May (see my recent topic titled 'Bravia KD43X8309 and XT1 sound start time issue' which details the problem I have). The retailer where I purchased the equipment cannot understand the problem (and has swapped out the devices with no improvement) and both he and I have raised with Sony with no progress yet.

I now leave my XT1 powered on as a 'temporary' circumvention for this annoying issue so that sound starts immediately the TV picture appears, but this should not be necessary.

As you have a similar sounding problem with a different model TV it may suggest a more fundamental issue somewhere. What audio device do you have? I suspect there are more users out there who suffer with this problem and it would be of interest to know of similar experiences to know how widespread the problem is.

profile.country.IE.title
dearg1

It will be interesting to see how you guys get on in UK with You view update , will it put more of a strain on already suspect processor, or maybe it will be the sweetener everyone has been waiting on which will make the other bugs bearable.

I am in Ireland so I miss out on You view altogether and we don't have access to RTE player only TV3 which is like watching Lego , I have to say I am very jealous of your catch up services.

I am still going to wait until after the HDD update to decide whether this TV is worth buying or wait for the 2016 model which I only presume will have an updated more powerful processor with greater storage.

All in all after following this thread it appears the 2015 range is gradually getting better but still a bit of a basket case , decisions decisions ( hugely discounted 2015 v fully functional expensive 2016 )

MrLizard

Is the processor really going to be an issue for YouView? My X83 copes well enough with IPlayer, YouTube and Netflix.

I would add that my TV is still behaving well post-update. I get the very occasional system hang but nothing like how it used to be. This may seem controversial, and I note that many others are still having unacceptable problems, but I'm definitely not considering returning my TV now. I most definitely was before the update!

As such it does make wonder if somehow the age of the device is a factor? Have there been any hardware revisions since release? Otherwise perhaps the accrual of "cruft" by the OS over time is a factor, hence the advice on factory resets? Maybe the earlier OS builds were more liable to not clear up after themselves?

FWIW I ordered my TV on August 29th and had it delivered on September 1st.  Are other more recent adopters no longer seeing the problems, or have I somehow just got lucky?

joquinn27
Explorer

I was thinking of buying the 43X 8309 but have doubts given all the issues raised in this forum. I would be using the TV connected to a TiVo box  and occasional blu Ray use. I would not have  any external audio etc.Has anyone any experience of a similar set up?

Nibor99

I use my KD43X8039 with a Tivo box and a Canton Sound Base ( a pretty
simple system that beefs up the sound nicely and learns the Tivo
remote's volume buttons - get the latest version from Richer Sounds.

What I hadn't realised is that the Tivo box outputs different signal
qualities - I initially had unsharp pictures which took a lot of tuning
out and much frustration!!

After discovering the higher quality Tivo settings things improved
significantly and after a picture factory reset only a few tweaks were
required to get a picture to suit our taste.

I have watched 4K content from Youtube and I am very impressed with the
picture quality.

If you have been following this forum thread you will have seen folk
having significant issues with some features of Android TV but it does
seem to be gradually getting sorted.

I haven't watched much on Bluray but what I have seen looks fine.

We had been getting a locked blank screen with sound when trying to
switch the TV off with the remote but following a Sony Engineer factory
reset suggestion this issue seems to have disappeared.

We are now much happier with our TV.

Prices also seem to be coming down.

HTH