Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
GremlinUK

I've largley had no issues with the TV that others have mentioned here - it's been good and the update in December made the remote much more responsive.

I do however no also have the "tv switching on" problem - rather annoying in the middle of the night having to keep turning it off. Only started happening sice the last update.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

Thanks for the feedback around disabling Daydream so far. Can anyone tell me if the TV starting up completely by itself keeps happening, or does it stop after one or two occasions? Let’s not confuse this with a random reboot while TV is on, or LED being on whilst the TV is supposed to be off which I think are different issues.

Cheers

dazworld

It's been 3 weeks since I wrote a letter of complaint to Sony.

Even with my calling them last week to check on progress I received stupid emails back from tech support saying ' have you tried this, have you tried that '. Sony needs to take my complaint seriously and I am waiting for that response.

At the time of writing this, 482 pages / over 4,800 posts about the 2015 Sony Android sets on this forum with 10 per page = problems.  

Historically having been a loyal Sony customer and one of the reasons I invested £800 on a TV which didn't work but now has only marginally improved, but devoid of Sony taking my complaint seriously I’ll the list on here the issues I've experienced at first hand since purchasing the set in October:

POSTIVES:

Well-lit pictures with good sources creates an amazing picture; the “potential” of extensive list of Smart features of a Android-powered TV; range of apps; physical design; 4k; the "potential" of YouView; the "potential" of HDD recording.

NEGATIVES:

• Misleading marketing. I bought the TV with advertised features already on the set or available soon. HDD recording is still not available.
  • Picture performance. Low-lit pictures (like watching sci-fi or films like Dark Knight) is near impossible because the screen is so dark; therefore enjoyment is poor. I cannot show off this TV to friends coming around.
  • General TV design– menu flawed e.g. accessing sleep mode takes you out from anything you’re using the TV for (Netflix, digital TV, PS4 for example); extremely high reflective screen meaning NO lights, no lamps anywhere in front of the TV screen (therefore no chance of having table lamps between your settee or bed); impossible to know or change the screen resolution (so manually upscalling standard def pictures impossible or difficult to do); I’m not a big fan of football but there’s a football button on the remote.
  • Poor general performance – extremely buggy. The following is a list of issues I’ve tried to take note of since purchasing the set :
  1. Voice sync issues – watching normal (digital channels) TV and YouTube
  2. Watching a YouTube video, kept clicking STOP but video would not stop
  3. Very slow. Click remote button and having to wait 3 seconds to action?
  4. Watching digital TV and wishing to select a channel from previously switching set OFF after watching Netflix can take an average 7 minutes for the set to respond to be able to change a channel. Yes, 7 minutes.
  5. Powering set ON from previously watching digital TV: 1m29secs to be able to change channels.
    These times are unacceptable. When you turn on the TV your intention is to watch something (I don’t know, from normal viewing or someone in another room saying ‘turn ITV on’. You expect to be able to turn a TV on to set it to ITV quickly on this £800 TV
  6. Viewing YouView Guide with a channel is highlighted. Click remote ARROW DOWN twice on remote; the cursor moves down just once; click remote down again and cursor moves down twice. So the set initially recognized my two clicks but it was just slow in doing so!
  7. After hard resetting the set I receive a ‘tvdotaction not working’ error
  8. The physical screen is 100% reflective, so any lighting or lamps which are positioned any distance in front of the TV (I don’t know on bedside tables or table lamps beside the settee you’re watching TV on) need to be OFF. I have never experienced this on a TV before; I ordinarily don’t wish to be forced to watch TV in a dark room.
  9. When viewing YouView guide and hitting ENTER to select and view a new channel, the set freezes for 3 seconds. When the screen returns the TV has not changed channel, and you’re on the channel you were previously on.
  10. If I want to go straight to a channel, e.g. BBC1 HD, I have to be extremely precise with my timing on typing ‘101’ on the remote. The set either quickly switches to ‘10’ or goes to ‘1’ as the remote has picked up ‘1011’. This kind of mis-timing is a setting I have on my Logitech Harmony One remote where I can change the responsiveness of the remote according to the product I’m controlling. Sony – you’ve not set the correct timings for this remote and the device.
  11. The YouView top info display stayed on when I was watching TV. I tried to press the Display button on remote, but bar still visible. TV then froze and restarted itself.
  12. 5 Nov. I had the TV volume loud but wanted to reduce the volume. So I repeatedly pressed DOWN VOL on remote but TV did not respond (though Sony logo light flashing).
  13. On VOL if you leave it pressed, then it goes down really slowly and then suddenly you’re +/-30db. Or you click initially to turn volume Up or DOWN and wait a lifetime to reach the desired volume.
    I have my TV connected to my Yamaha AV amp. I always have my Yamaha remote to hand because of the unreliable nature of using volume on the Sony remote.
  14. Selected 'Have I got news for you' catch-up on YouView guide. iPlayer opened then it asked me to confirm my age was over 18, which I did. The TV froze and then went neck to you YouView guide. I selected the program again and received a Sony 'an error has occurred please try again later' message. I then went back to YouView guide and selected the same program, as well as other programs. Nothing happened. Hard restarted TV.
  15. Playing PS4. I then turned ps4 off. TV went to BBC1 channel with YouView mini guide at the bottom of the screen was showing. TV turned itself OFF and restarted. 6 Nov
  16. Watching ITV HD. Pressed ‘Info’ on remote. Received a 'Sorry, that's not working' YVM2014 YouView message.
  17. 10mins in from watching Catastrophe on c4 On Demand app. Picture froze with usual grey Sony/Android 'an error occurred. please try later'. Clicked TV button and set eventually took me to ‘Discover’ screen. Re opened c4 on demand app, and a white screen appeared. Completed a set hard reset.
  18. From OFF, repeatedly tried turning TV ON using remote. But no response (but Sony logo was flashing as acknowledgement). I then tried the physical buttons on left of TV set. No response. I then continued for 1min and the set came on- with the Sony/android coloured swirling intro (indicating a hard reset had taken place and I therefore had to wait the ~7mins to change channels). 18 Nov.
  19. Turning TV on and BBC2 came up. I didn’t know what the program was so I pressed INFO. The YouView info bar didn’t appear until ~1.30mins later.
  20. In YouView' guide I click ITV HD channel. No response (but Sony logo flashes). Then after 30secs it takes me to the Discover menu.
  21. The set is impossible to know what resolution the picture is and how where any upscale ability is. This is not how things should work. So, watching standard definition TV I need to know how to increase the scaling to get a better picture. I cannot do this.
  22. I am forever going into PICTURE settings to change settings from the defaults (standard<>Cinema Pro) and manual settings. This is because the TV changes the picture mode automatically and it’s difficult in achieving a decent picture.
  23. If I want to set the timer (watching Netflix or PS4 or TV) which I have done on all of my TVs and use at night when watching PS4, TV, Netflix, any input I have to exit what I’m doing and go to the dedicated Discover menu, and thereon select the settings. This is ridiculous. If I want the Sleep setting it means I want to have an easy way to set the timer, and for the whole process not to wake me up. On any other TV you either hit ‘sleep’ on the remote, or a mini menu appears on the picture you’re watching to select the timer.
  24. Watching Homeland on YouView catch-up (which I rarely do). In 2nd ad space, black screen with loading swirl appears and nothing happens. I closed the app down, restarted TV. Checked Internet on phone working. When restarting TV I am forced to watch the ads again as I was at 20mins in. 25 Nov
  25. Using Mirroring video from Android Chrome. I am unable to stop video playing on the TV – this happens regularly.
  26. Mirroring video from Android Chrome. It’s really unreliable with either not being able to move the video timeline or pausing. Just unresponsive.
  27. Watching BBC2. Press UP once on remote to move up 1 channel, but it moves up 2 channels. Pressed Down on remote, and it jumped 2 channels.
  28. Holding volume on DOWN the set will either only allow me to turn volume up/down 1 step at a time or it’ll jump to either being really loud (which has woken people in my flat up at night) or not hear it at all.
  29. Turning TV on from previously watching YouTube, and wanting to turn TV to HDMI 4 (for PS4). Received usual Sony/Android 'unfortunately sonysyncservice has stopped' grey message.
  30. Turning TV on from previously watching PS4. Wanting to watch TV. Clicked TV, Guide or up arrow or even the power button, and nothing happens for 5-7 mins!!! You cannot even turn the TV off!!!! But you can turn the TV off by keeping the finger on the remote power button and after 20secs it restarts (at this stage I did not get the Power off warning). When restarting I received grey error- ' unfortunately, com.Sony.dtv.enclave.service has stopped'. Set didn't do anything so had to restart a second time. I'm now 15mins in from using the PS4 and wanting to watch TV. When set restarts, I receive a grey 'YouView isn't responding. Please close it'.  Then the remote doesn't work. Tried pressing power on set - nothing happened
    Kept finger on power button. After 10secs set restarted with same YouView ‘has failed message’. The TV is then unresponsive and a 'Live channels isn't responding. Do I want to close it' message appears. So I restart TV. I am now 30mins on from using the PS4 wanting to watch TV. I have to then unplug the set from the mains which seemed to sort the issue. Now, I’m 30minutes in from using the PS4 and I no longer wish/want to watch TV. It’s just too much. 30 mins from power OFF. Ridiculous.
  31. Watching YouTube using app on TV. Tried to press Forward on remote. Nothing. Waited for 20secs and it then allowed me to forward the video.
  32. Watching ITV HD. Wanted to turn volume down. No response. Repeated this until about 2 mins later it was then responsive. 4 Dec
  33. Wanting to cast a video from Chrome from my Android phone to TV. Clicked Cast icon in Chrome, then Cast to Sony x8307. Nothing happens. No casting.
  34. Opened PlayStation Now app on TV. Started to watch trailer for “Spy” film. Sound started but set want back to PlayStation Now home page, but the sound of the trailer was still playing. No way to stop the sound. I could not click to restart watching the video either. Had to hard reset the set
  35. Watching Top Gear on YouView catch up. Then Flixster app suddenly started up for no reason! Re-tried playing Top Gear on YouView, but it did not start and I was sent back to you YouView guide. So – I could not watch a program I wanted to watch! 7 Jan 16
  36. Watching Netflix 11 Jan 2016. Streaming repeated stopped at 25%, so I repeatedly restarted app then kept restarting TV. I eventually received ‘your account has been deactivated’ with Error code ui 800 3’. Frustrated, again; went to bed.

And since adding the February firmware, the set “seems” to be more responsive, but :

1. watching Amazon prime. Could not rewind. zero response. pressing Left cursor and rewind on remote
  2. watching bbc4. turn to more 4 channel. Then pressed the 'back/circle' button to go back to bbc4. YouView mini bar appears but nothing. channel doesn't change
  3. browsing through Netflix. Then completely unresponsive and couldn't scroll. Nothing. Unresponsive for about 10secs
  4. watching Netflix. Then pressed TV to watch TV to phone when mirroring (as I've learned the TV doesn't react/respond when watching Netflix and wanting to phone mirror). I then pressed mirror on my phone but nothing appeared on the set. Nothing other than a black screen. My video was fine. 

So, issues will continue.

Currys customer services have said if I talk to the store manager I could return the set – but I am not expecting a great conversation and I'm sure I will be forced to argue my point. 

One of the things I said to Sony in my letter is the longevity of firmware updates. We're getting firmware updates now on a technical device which will continually need to be maintained/updated. In 1 or 2 years those firmware updates will cease. With a set today with so many issues those bugs will continue and get worse. I envisage not being able to “enjoy” your TV for 8 years but it’ll be defunct in 2 years time.

Sony - you have received your last warning.

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

@oodles2do

My PlayStation I understand, they only have HDMI 1.4c so couldn't possibly output a 4K Stream. :slight_frown:

But my KD-49X8305C is a 2015 model with the HEVC built in (And the HDMI is 2.0).:smileyconfused:

So why does the PlayStation app only offer HD when the set has a HEVC Decoder built in?

Do I honestly have to purchase one of those FMP-X10's just to get access to the 4K library and not just the SD and HD stuff?:smileyplain:

Thanks for the reply though. I'd rather gain access to the Sony Library and pay for 4K films than have to resort to downloading them from the pirate bay.:smileymrgreen:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Richard:smileycool:

oodles2do

I can't remember if it's a default app or I downloaded it, but you can get the PlayStation Video app on the TV. I knew that my PS4 doesn't have a HDMI 2.0 output, so that obviously means there's no way it will be able to support 4K output ( I think? Or is it, 30fps 4K on HDMI 1.4 and you need 2.0 to output 60fps?).

I really wouldn't buy a Sony device, I think it's only available in the US and at an extortionate price. I want to know if this service will be coming to our TV's and our country :

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3019329/personal-technology/sony-to-launch-4k-streaming-service...

I'm prepared to wait, as there isn't really any solid 4K content yet anyway, nothing to do with Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

@oodles2do

Thank you for your reply. I will remember to go back over the posts on the forum and leave you a few likes to help you rank up a bit quicker :handshake:

1) yrp, HDMI 1.4c wont do 4K, in anything but stills - There is an app that does this on the PS4 though.

2) That FMP-X10. I was intending to get it just to rip the app of it and try and side load it into my Bravia somehow. All I want is access to the Sony ULtra 4K Library of Films (Ah, Saturday Night's here we come)

As for getting one - They are only around £50.00 on eBay some days, with the power adapter and cables too.

I have searched the Internet, the google play store and multiple Sony sites to get that Playsyation Video app that has the 4K option, but no joy. :cry:

3) I was hoping to run it, if I get one, from behind an unlimited VPN I have so hopefully Sony will think I'm in New York and let me log in that way.....(plausible?) :worried:

My set is a X83C 49" 4K and I use it as a 4K Monitor for my Custom PC which happily does 4K.

I will go and check out the itunes store and the windows store next to see if I can get that 4K option enabled app via them next.

But, as one of our major selling points on these displays is the HEVC Decoder built in, you'd think the native app would feature the 4K app..:smileyalert:

On the subject of my display - Kodi says its a ARMV7 Processor Rev 0 (v7l) which when I google it, comes up as dual core - others have reported that theirs ( same model, just recently built - have quad cores) Any ideas if this is actually true, as that would peve me off now end to have just brought the lesser model - as I suspect the 4K app now only will come with the quad core.

ADIA64 says Im running a 2x ARM Cortex-A17, which is different to what Kodi says again, so I will have to Google that aswell too.

What model is yours?

Kind regards

Richard :laughing:

oodles2do

@rsebre

Thanks for the likes!!

My TV is KD-49X8305C, it's interesting that you've seen the FMP-X10 media player quite a lot cheaper than I thought it was. I thought I saw it for something like $500 and US only. I'll have a look at it, but I'll wait until Sony confirm whether or not their Ultra service will be coming out our TV's.

I had a look at Kodi again, and it was measuring the CPU usage, and it gave a reading for 2 cores. I haven't got ADIA64, I'll download when I'm next at the TV. I tried googling the ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v71) and I seemed to get mixed results of people sayings it's dual core and some saying it's quad core.

Another thing that might confuse matters, is that if you look on your PC it might include the virtual cores in the description. For instance, I know I've got a dual core processor in my laptop, but when I look at the details it says :

Intel® Core™ i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz × 4.

I really don't think it's a problem with the hardware though, if you download the nightly version of Kodi, that will allow you to play 4K files. And then as a test you can install an addon and watch a clip from Big Buck Bunny in 4K.

On the Kodi version direct from the Google Play Store this video lagged A LOT. Then I installed the latest version which hasn't been officially released yet, and it was perfectly smooth.

profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

I Bought my KD49X8305 early December and apart from the first week of owning it I've had very few problems but I have sky HD so it's mainly used as a monitor although not solely.

Following the update last week it has randomly switched itself on 3 times, I checked sync settings under External inputs but nothing had changed.

The first time it happened the TV had been off since the previous evening and switched on just after I booted up my computer.

As both are on the same network I wondered if it might be the cause but havent been able to reproduce it so maybe it's just a coincidence.

The third time was last night 10 minutes after I had switched it off (Just habit but I always switch off with the button at the back of the set)

Apart from that no other problems but I think it needed recording here because Sony will be reading this thread even though they won't be responding.

I would urge everyone else that hasn't reported their problems to do so and be as specific as possible and at least state the model number as I beleive or at least hope it might help us all in the end.

EggDublin

@Quinnicus wrote:

Hi All

Thanks for the feedback around disabling Daydream so far. Can anyone tell me if the TV starting up completely by itself keeps happening, or does it stop after one or two occasions? Let’s not confuse this with a random reboot while TV is on, or LED being on whilst the TV is supposed to be off which I think are different issues.

Cheers

Happened with me just once (so far), on Sunday at 2am. Using the latest firmware.

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

@oodles2do

The cpu in these TV's are Dual Core, not Quad core. My CPU usage on the home screen last night was idling between 3-5% cpu usage.

This is what's powering my 55XD8509C :

Dual Core CPU : MediaTek MT5890 (Cortex A17 - ARMv7) - REV : R0p0

GPU: ARM Mali-T624

OpenGL API : OpenGL ES 3.1

EGL Version : 1.4 Android META-EGL

Memory : 1.5 GB

Storage: 8 GB

Also, reading through this thread with people moaning that their TV's are using too much ram..........It's Android. It's not Windows. Android is MEANT to use as much ram as it can get it's hands on. High ram usage on Android is a GOOD thing.

@rsebre

I have made a US Playstation account and Japanese account on my UK PS4.

I have logged into my US account and downloaded the Dramafever PS4 app to my UK PS4 and I can then happily use my UK account to load up the app and I use a VPN to access the US content in the UK with no problem at all.

I was also easily able to watch the "Powers" US only TV show straight from the US Playstation store with zero problems.

If you want to access PS4 US Streaming 4K movies, I would have thought that making sure that your VPN is able to stream a consistant 16-20mbs will be the only thing stopping you.

I personally buy US top up cards in $ to put credit on my US account.