Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
ahodgekins1979
Explorer

Just registered here to share my experience of 2015 Bravia TVs in the UK.

Wanted a 42/43inch TV and did not want 4K.  Found there are very few options out there at this size.  Shopped around and was impressed with the picture quality on the Sony models.  Read about some of the Android performance issues, but found the demo TVs in the store to be quite snappy (I guess they are shut off at the mains each night).  Purchased a KDL43W756 (43 inch, HD only) TV from John Lewis in December 2015.

Build quality and picture continue to impress, however I've had a number (but not all) of the issues reported on here:

- TV slows down after 3/4 days to the point its unusable and needs turning off at the mains (could never get the long-press of the remote power button to work)

- Youview is very slow.  Ended up disabling it.

- Sound drifts out of sync, with the picture leading the audio.

I went through a number of software updates, culminating in the February update.  I have also tried a hard reset.  In all cases the same thing - TV is great when first reset, but slows down after a few days.

I did not have any extra apps installed on the TV.  These issues persisted regardless of whether anything was plugged into the HDMI sockets.  Incidentally, I've recently been using it with my 5yr old Yamaha RX-V667 receiver and I've had no issues with ARC or CEC - all works perfectly, but lip sync issues persist for any sources plugged directly into the TV.

Decided to cut my losses and return the TV.  I spoke to John Lewis tech support, and explained my key reason was the delayed recording features and the fact that it was not advertised in December that recording features would disable Youview.  I also explained I was dissatisfied with the speed of the TV.  In conclusion, not fit for purpose advertised.

My new LG 42LF652V TV arrives on Saturday and I've been refunded the price difference.  Picture won't be quite as good, but the wider viewing angles of IPS will probably be a help and 3D is a bonus.  The LG isn't as sleek, but shares the Sony's mostly metallic build.

I wish you all the best of luck with your sets and sincerely hope Sony make this right.  Ultimately I didn't trust them to do this, and wanted to save myself the frustration by using John Lewis' 90 day refund policy.

What I really don't understand is why Sony/Google had to make android TV so pervasive.  On my 6yr old Samsung Smart TV the Smart features were accessed by a separate button on the remote and were dormant otherwise.  Those features no longer work, but I can still use the TV perfectly as a 'dumb' TV, including the guide, etc.  With the Sony it feels like even watching normal TV is an App.  A step too far.

DarrellM
Explorer

Just had a call from Sony Support regarding my bricked TV. They are sending an engineer out on Monday which is a little strange since last week they told me there was no point in sending one out as it was a software not hardware issue and an engineer would not be able to do anything. Obviously I pointed that out. 

mattface

@DarrellM

Exactly the same phone call though no confirmed date for a visit yet. As they have started talking about compensation I have called off the guard dogs until I find out how that conversation goes.

Since July I hope you have had success pairing your 3D glasses. If not try this 

I was successful after similar failures tday, once I had started to play a 3D signal - in this case Bluray 3D via my PS4 then and only then would the TDG-BT500 pair with my Android TV

here is a link which states you MUST have a current 3D signal for pairing to work  - 

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/59909/~/how-to-pair-active-3d-glasses-with-an-andr...

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@mattface @Jimmyjamh and @chbjerg,

Have you had a chance to change your Adv. Contrast enhancer to "off"? 

I believe this will sort your dimming issues when watching content! Just tried mine on all other settings bar Off, to see if the latest update had fixed it, but no, it needs to be off otherwise I get dimming in dark scenes and brighter in light. Also gets bright when the volume displays on the screen, then dims when it goes.

profile.country.GB.title
Pete4L

Well I had a new one last night.... The now infamous Sony Bravia Android "turning itself on in the middle of the night!"  3-30 am & I hear people in my living room.... it frightened the life out of me!....

Ive got the latest firmware & the TV has been fine since the December update.... so this was unexpected. I don't know if it's a coincidence but I left my laptop on sleep las night (I normally shut it down)... I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it.

chbjerg

@theshamelessmanc I can confirm that my problem was solved by turning off the advanced contrast enhancer completely.

dazworld

@rooobb I won't be doing another factory reset and waste my time resetting the set back up.

Firmware updates are meant to fix stuff. And looking at posts (and from my own experience) it doesn't work.

I have a complaint open with Sony - that's now 3 weeks old.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@dazworld it's your choice, in most of the cases it solves, sometimes not...

Resetting the TV after a firmware update is mandatory on every smart tv brand not only Sony...

It's annoying to set everything again, but I'd prefer that rather than wake up during the night.....

In any case the very first thing any official support will require to do is resetting the TV.

UKPiglet

"Resetting the TV after a firmware update is mandatory on every smart tv brand not only Sony."

That's completely incorrect.

On my Samsung I get updates which take a few minutes to load ... and the TV works perfectly before and perfectly after with no need to factory reset, rescan channels, and re-do all the settings.