Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
tim2525
Explorer

I thought I would just let the community here know that, after all the issues reported and specifically the inability to select 3D mode following the 2/2/16 update, I went into the Currys store where I bought it, spoke to the manager, and he was very decent and they arranged to take the set back (it was a KD-55X8509C) and replace it with a Panasonic Viera TC-55CX700B.

The replacement arrived yesterday, and it is fantastic - everything I would have expected the Sony Bravia to be, but wasn't.

1. The picture is much crisper and sharper

2. You can view the screen from a much wider angle (the Bravia picture tended to wash out if you stood at an angle greater than about 40 degrees)

3. The remote control responds instantly, instead of several seconds behind like the Bravia

4. Finally, of course, 3D mode works correctly, and not only that, it's got a 2D to 3D conversion option which is great fun.

The only thing it hasn't got is a satellite tuner, but since it was £50 cheaper (and Currys refunded the difference) I can hardly complain.

I am now an extremely happy customer.  Sadly, not a Sony customer.

profile.country.GB.title
jkspoff
Explorer

I have to say that although there are several software glitches with Android sets, this is not an issue with Sony, they would have been far better going with Apple for an iOS based system, as this would have been more stable and reliable.

The Sony picture and build quality of their sets is the market leader as its always been, let down only by poor Android software. I'm sure they were promised a seemless integration which they havent recieved.

Having said that, with each incremental software update the useability improves, but sometimes I find the entire TV just freezes and has to be turned off at the mains, as the remote control does nothing to restart it.

I'm ok with this at the moment but some people probably just prematurely return the entire TV.

Big mistake Sony with going with Android. Try Apple iOS for your next ones.

Stunning TV though, far superior image to all your competitors.

jadeee

Problem is I am sure that Sony will stop support of the product before the real end of its life.

I have asked Sony how long they will support the product for and the do not seem to answer, so are we going to be left with a set that is instable with no more software updates?

And being an operating system it will be prone to cyber attacks - Android is not free from this - and what happens then - a TV thats been hacked with no support from Sony - it then turns into a brick!

Sony is not helping themselves or us - where are the details of the latest updates for the UK on their websites - what is the future for updates - where is the list of known problems .... need I go on.

Sony are the amateurs here - they have released a product that is poor and they need to stand up to the plate and let THEIR customers know what is going on - not leave it up to the people that have bought their sets to be frustrated in a blog and having to contact the poor suppliers of the poor product.

Where are Sony on this forum - very absent!

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

jkspoff wrote:

....Sony, they would have been far better going with Apple for an iOS based system, as this would have been more stable and reliable....

Note to Apple fan :-  Android TV works fine in the incarnations; Google Nexus Player; Sharp Android TV; Nvidia Shield TV.  So, do you think it just might be the Sony Firmware?

Edited for conduct. -EdwinaU

HairyFool

Hell will freeze over before Apple will allow their OS to run on anybody
else's hardware, it has been their ethos from day one. Control the hardware
and the operating system then no third party can introduce problems. It is a
philosophy that works which is why Microsoft now have Surface.

Android is a published O/S the question is who is developing the TV branch
and in particular Sony's implementation. It's such a pigs ear it smells of
outsourcing.
oodles2do

@jadeee

The sooner the software gets hacked (or jailbroken) the better. Then we (the community) can develop an open source version that will actually work, and work exactly how we want it to.

This version will never lose support as long as there is a decent amount of demand to keep up with adding new features, or maintaining the system.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@oodles2do wrote:

@jadeee

The sooner the software gets hacked (or jailbroken) the better. Then we (the community) can develop an open source version that will actually work, and work exactly how we want it to.

This version will never lose support as long as there is a decent amount of demand to keep up with adding new features, or maintaining the system.

I actually don't think it is Android but more the utter incompetence of the Sony engineers inability to intergrate their hardware with the OS. 

frankie1g

Just cos.you don't use some functions does not mean your TV is special it's as just like everyone else's. TV.but hay of you want to think you have the only fully functioning TV go ahead.in the real world we  know the truth.

Sent from my Samsung device
frankie1g

Good question 

Jimmyjamh
Explorer

@frankie1g wrote:
Just cos.you don't use some functions does not mean your TV is special it's as just like everyone else's. TV.but hay of you want to think you have the only fully functioning TV go ahead.in the real world we  know the truth.

I didn't say mine was special. I simply stated that I've been lucky with zero issues for me so far. That's not to say it might not go all pear shaped tomorrow.