Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
paulryan37

@Nicksmith156 wrote:

My TV KDL-50W805C, is also turning itself on since the last FW update, usually it's just the light bar beneath the Sony logo that's on but the to remote doesn't work and there is no sound. I have turned off Bravia sync and reset all settings and the problem persists, usually 3 or 4 times a week. 

Can an I return my tv to the retailer [amazon] if it was bought less than 12 months ago?

Mine did exactly the same light on under the tv you need to do a factory reset this will fix the turning on issue

profile.country.GB.title
paulryan37

Mine did exactly the same light on under the tv you need to do a factory reset this will fix the turning on issue

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@adyjay33 wrote:
I reported to a Currys store they have to talk to Sony...I have to put in a
complaint to a sony and get a number... trying to find their contact number
to do so.

Sick and tired of this set now it has to go.... Darren at the Andover
Branch please come up with the goods....

No, you don't have to do any such thing,

Sony are not a party to the contract between you and Currys, which Currys have broken by selling you a TV that does not meet the terms of the Sale of Goods Act (if bought before 1 Sep 2015) or the Consumer Rights Act (if bought on or after that date).

Currys are making it up as they go along.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@paulryan37 wrote:

For a bit.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@paulryan37 wrote:

@Nicksmith156 wrote:

My TV KDL-50W805C, is also turning itself on since the last FW update, usually it's just the light bar beneath the Sony logo that's on but the to remote doesn't work and there is no sound. I have turned off Bravia sync and reset all settings and the problem persists, usually 3 or 4 times a week. 

Can an I return my tv to the retailer [amazon] if it was bought less than 12 months ago?

My 43w805C has done exactly the same twice since the Feb update. I was thinking it might have been caused by my Sky box coming out of deep sleep Eco mode, in the early hours. However you seem to have proven that is not the case by disabling CEC. Sadly this look like a NEW bug introduced at the last update. SONY please note.

I have done a full factory reset, which has not resolved it.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone has their tv startup into EZ File Manager upon switching it on?  Happened a few times last week, but seems to have stopped now.

Ive noticed that the Sony Logo/light bar light up a few times whilst actually watching tv late at night.

Unfortunately i cannot replicate either scenarios

profile.country.GB.title
rnbetsy

Mines started doing this, but it's just asking if I want to launch it for
the USB that's connected
adyjay33

Yea on the contract with Currys... I did tell Darren the assistant manager there that at the time, also he tried to say the TV software is not covered by a warranty which after Oct 2015 it is under the SOG Act 2015, dont think he knew that till I told him. Its covers operating systems and this is what the issues are with this Sony, plus I think its underpowered with a dual core and not a quad core, the new Raspberry Pi 3 is more powerful, infact I think my Acorn Atom back in the early 1980's was too!

If I get an offical complaint number from Sony it will make it easier, he did tell me he knew nothing about this problem with Sony TV's, well as one in the shop was playing up and had frozen and was about as fast as a Tortise, I think he understood, he also told me that he thinks that Sony have gone down hill too, I also showed him pictures and videos of the TV playing up, he said they might have to send an engineer, sadly I expect it will behave when that person comes round, I dont want this pile of rubbish any longer.

I have looked at a curved Samsund 55" JU7500, anyone got one on here and how good does it work?

Also what was interesting is that the 3D glasses for my Sony work with that particular model too... bonus when I have 4 of them and Currys wont pay for those that I bought as the set never came with any at all, if I had known about the problems these TV's are having before I stupidly bought it, then I most certainly would not have.

The tv is just a disaster and I am not going to keep it any longer,

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@adyjay33 wrote:

Yea on the contract with Currys... I did tell Darren the assistant manager there that at the time, also he tried to say the TV software is not covered by a warranty which after Oct 2015 it is under the SOG Act 2015, dont think he knew that till I told him. Its covers operating systems and this is what the issues are with this Sony, plus I think its underpowered with a dual core and not a quad core, the new Raspberry Pi 3 is more powerful!

If I get an offical complaint number from Sony it will make it easier, he did tell me he knew nothing about this problem with Sony TV's, well as one in the shop was playing up and had frozen and was about as fast as a Tortise, I think he understood, he also told me that he thinks that Sony have gone down hill too, I also showed him pictures and videos of the TV playing up, he said they might have to send an engineer, sadly I expect it will behave when that person comes round, I dont want this pile of rubbish any longer.

I have looked at a curved Samsund 55" JU7500, anyone got one on here and how good does it work?

Also what was interesting is that the 3D glasses for my Sony work with that particular model too... bonus when I have 4 of them and Currys wont pay for those that I bought as the set never came with any at all, if I had known about the problems these TV's are having before I stupidly bought it, then I most certainly would not have.

The tv is just a disaster and I am not going to keep it any longer,

We have to decide if we believe the conspiracy theory, or the cockup theory, when dealing with Curry's 🙂

These sets are going back to Currys all over the country, and there are several reports of successful returns to Currys earlier in this thread.

So what are the odds that Head Office, at least, are unaware with the problems with these sets, which should stick out like a sore thumb in their weekly returns stats?

And that they won't have issued any official guidance to their Store Managers, along the lines of 'try to discourage returns, but if the customer is persistent, take them back, we really have no choice'.

But this may be too sensitive a memo to share with the Darrens on the shop floor, who are therefore genuinely unaware of the issues, so ensure you 'speak to the organ grinder, not the monkey', at your local branch, by involving the high-ups in the store.

Of course, though, it's hard for him to be 'genuinely unaware of the issues' when the set in the store that he is standing by is exhibiting them 😞

You are anyway not returning the set under the warranty, something which is in addition to your statutory rights; you are exercising your statutory rights here. And that the issue is in software, rather than hardware, does not alter the case except insofar as it demonstrates that repair or replacement will not make satisfactory redress, so a refund is Curry's only option.

Regarding the Samsung, we have the 55" JS9000, and we could not be more pleased. We switched it on, set it up, it started working, and it stayed working. But that is £450 more than the set you are thinking of, and I am sure the JU7500 will likewise perform admirably.

I still have the Bravia, but relegated to the study as my techy toy; it is not yet, if indeed it ever will be, a television that you can safely leave for you family to watch while you go out somewhere, without a frantic phone call to say that it has stopped in the middle of 'Doctors', or some other light but seemingly essential entertainment 😞

adyjay33

Iam guessing that  they will try and say no in which case im jsut going up higher, if that does not work Im going to court simple as that, all the evidence on here about people taking their sets back etc... will be sufficient plus all the videos and photos of this set playing up too will prove a 100% win.

I do not think they dont know about it in any Currys store, this would have been said to them Iam sure of it.

As you say there is only one way unless they really want their name dragged through the courts and thus the press too and thats to refund me so I am free to go elsewhere if need be, and get a set that works, I wont miss Kodi or any other apps on it as I can get that through my android box or even a Amazon Firestick.

I dont however want to keep waiting so if I do not hear from them I will be going in and taking the set with me and wont leave until I get a refund. As has been pointed out to them I have a conrtract with them not Sony so lets see how this pans out.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!