Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
mattface

I was promised a call back on Tuesday regarding discussing compensation. It's now Friday and I've heard nothing. I've lost count of the amount of times Sony support has promised to call me back, and failed to do so. I refuse to spend any more of my own money on their call centres, so have sent an email to Kris De Pauw and will be following it up with a recorded letter.

Anyone successfully got a penny out of them?

oodles2do

@mattface

I haven't tried to get any compensation, I'm asking for a refund from John Lewis and holding back from restarting my TV incase they want to see it. I never thought a 2015 piece of technology could be this bad, it's simple unusable as a TV. Whilst on TV nothing responds, pressing guide does nothing for ages until after 5+ minutes Kodi randomly opens (which is good, because once you get into Kodi you can actually use it).

I assume they're taking a lot of heat from retailers who have had to take so many back, so they're probably going to be difficult to get money out of from the consumer too!

mattface

I've had the TV since September, and a replacement for a week (that I don't want) but having seen a few success stories on here about refunds I might try and take on Amazon.

profile.country.en_GB.title
mimorga46
Explorer

You will only get a penny from them if you actually bought direct from Sony. Your contract when buying something is always with the retailer and it is they who are responsible for sorting out your problem(s). Do not let them try and push responsibility on to Sony or tell you to contact them (Sony). It is their responsibility and it is they that need to contact Sony if that is their chosen route. Keep pushing your retailer until you get satisfaction.
profile.country.GB.title
nealrushforth
Explorer

Just got a Sony KDL-43W805C.

Immediately did the firmware update.

Noticeable issues I am having.

I have a sound bar connected via ARC. When switching on the TV, the soundbar powers on automatically but get no sound and a message appears on the screen regarding using HDMI4/ARC (which I am). Other times I switch on, all is working as expected.

Lip Sync. Digital TV channels are almost always out of sync, sometimes it is very minor, other times it is quite noticeable.

I have 2 sony W829 TV's and a W653 and see none of these issues.

Come on Sony, these types of issues should not be happening.

adyjay33

Talked to Currys and the shop says they have not of These problems... what a surprise!

Now they are saying Sony will call me to troubleshoot the TV which means a full reset which will of course work then it will all go pear shaped again a few days or even hours later. If they can't do it over the phone they will send a repairman who will of course take the TV away leaving me with nothing and then return it after doing nothing.

Said about the HDD etc... missing and SOGA 2015 about software being covered now and that is the route I will go for as I don't want a repair or replacement set unless I chose it... its gonna end up in the courts if I don't get a result. 

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
oodles2do

@adyjay33

This worries me for what John Lewis will say, they've passed me over to their technical team but they haven't replied yet. I know that engineers will probably come out anyway. Maybe we could just say they're absolutely not taking the TV because it's a known OS issue, that will affect every device, nothing specific to this one. So replacing hardware will do nothing ,unless you put a monster i7 and Titan GPU in with like 8gb RAM or something so that it can brute force it.

They only need to take one look at their reviews for these TV's and official reviewers to see that it's a known, widespread issue.

Also, maybe you can say you've already been through the Sony route, which was useless, these TV's are fine for a short time after reset which is all they ask you to do. Killing any chance of finding the route to the problem.

wicols
Explorer

Maybe I shouldn't have started a new thread and just posted here, anyways here's my main issue: KDL-50W808C crashes when started by cast

julianblack

Hi @adyjay33.

I cannot remember how long you¹ve had your TV but John Lewis
replaced/refunded mine for an LG after about 70 days into their 90 return
period without any quibbles. I just carefully explained my issues in the
store and also printed out a list of them to refer to. I stated that a TV
should be an appliance and not an exercise in trouble shooting. The John
Lewis technical support person agreed and happily processed the return.

I¹ve found that an store support person has more flexibility in dealing with
customers issues than a telephone support call following the proverbial
³spread sheet².

I returned my Sony Android TV in November, having purchased it in September.
It was somewhat amusing to see a number of returned Sony TVs boxed up in the
support area. In fact, a few weeks later JL had run out of space in the
support area and a few returned sets were now placed in the main TV display
area. I didn¹t have the heart to upset the supposed Sony Expert by
commenting about this, as his only response to previous comments about my
issues when I owned the Sony was to say that a future firmware update would
fix things!

Hope that my first two paragraphs help you.
swampygeoff
Explorer

I am trying to connect my laptop through screen mirroring but when i search for a device my laptop will only pick up the TV as a 'Digital Media Renderer' and not television. What does this mean, my laptop recognsises that there is something there  but I can't connect. the TV won't recognise that anything is trying to connect so won't produce a code?!

KDL-48R553C