Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
oodles2do

@Jimmyjamh 

My main worry was the next update bricking my set, or sony stopping support after 18-24 months and it still ont being as good as it should be.

We're going to have to spend £100 more, with a price match, on an LG55UF680V, I just hope its picture quality is as good as the Sony.

Jimmyjamh
Explorer

@oodles2do wrote:

@Jimmyjamh 

My main worry was the next update bricking my set, or sony stopping support after 18-24 months and it still ont being as good as it should be.

We're going to have to spend £100 more, with a price match, on an LG55UF680V, I just hope its picture quality is as good as the Sony.

That's what concerns me. I love the picture on my Sony but the talk of Sony dropping support and the fact that some of these issues haven't been resolved  nearly a year on concerns me. 

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Jimmyjamh wrote:

That's what concerns me. I love the picture on my Sony but the talk of Sony dropping support and the fact that some of these issues haven't been resolved  nearly a year on concerns me. 

Concerning yes, but as long as you are reasonably happy with your set, and Sony do keep struggling to fix it, there is no need to send it back early, as the relevant legislation gives you six years in which to act.

And even a set bought mid 2015, if Sony have clearly given up on it by mid 2017 without fixing it to your satisfaction, is still covered by the EU 2-year minimum warranty.

However, there is no harm in sending your retailer a recorded delivery letter to their head office, now, setting out your concerns, and explaining that you will continue to let Sony try to fix it, but if they fail, you do expect to return it to your local store for a full refund.

Specify 'full' as they may try to prorata the refund to the useful life the TV has had for you; which, if the features have never been completed, is not appropriate.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
paulconvey
Explorer

Just thought I'd mention that I've just updated my UK bought kd49x8305c to the european 3.317 firmware (via USB). This adds USB HDD recording and comes without Youview, which I consider a bonus.  Especially, considering we would have to choose between Youview and USB HDD recording, I think it is a no-brainer.  The TV is noticeably faster, and despite the warnings to UK customers not to use this uprgrade, it works fine.

I've lost the native ITV and Channel 4 apps, but we can just cast them to the TV.

I can only asssume that Sony has a licensing deal with Youview, that causes them to issue a seperate firmware to us, with this awful piece of bloatware.

The updated firmware can be found at https://www.sony.ie/support/en/product/KD-49X8305C for anyone that wants it.

I can send an update in a couple of days, as to whether it fixes the stability issues plaguing most people in the UK.

profile.country.GB.title
nealrushforth
Explorer

Hi

How is the lip sync with this firmware when watching Digital HD channels?

profile.country.GB.title
andipr

Paulconvey - Does this Fw add PAP/PIP functionality?

Thanks.

My Model KD43X8309CBU
chbjerg

@andipr It does as it's just the EU 3.317

rsyboye
Explorer

I'm in the market for a new 4k telly.  Upscaling performance being important.

This thread and wider searching literally stopped me in my tracks.

What I can't make sense of is that there are either a signficant number of people that have received a set that operates with little/ no problem or just don't recognise shortcomings in what seems to be widely reported and accepted as inadequate fusion of Android TV and the Bravias.

Most disturbing is how you guys still suffer signifcant issues so long after release and the lengthy delay in implementing advertised features the sets were marketed with at POS.  :-S

It deffo looks like a case of buyer beware although the current offers to off load remaining 2015 stock looks too tempting to pass.

I think I'm going to take a gamble, hope I pick up 'good' KD65X8509C from John Lewis for £1500 (price match RicherSounds £1649 + £150 trade in old telly offer) and if it's less than perfect return to either contemplate a 2016 model or look at a competitor product.

Has anyone got a suggestion for something comparable for me to test side by side in store?

Kudos and well done for the patience many people have shown to persevere.  (MUST be testament to a cracking picture!!!)

profile.country.en_GB.title
mimorga46
Explorer

You can read of my experiences in this forum and for what they are worth here are my thoughts. Sony has always been a premium brand and I have had countless products from them over the years but my 49 inch Android was a disaster. I would urge great caution in buying any Sony 2015 model, despite the attractive looking price reductions prior to the launch of the 2016 range. And the other main brands have reduced their prices on last year's models so have a good look at those. I would not really know what 65 in model to look at but I always avoid 3D and curved screens - both gimmicks in my view! I think LG are not yet in the premier league and the sheer multitude of Samsung models makes an informed choice more difficult. Which leaves you with Panasonic. Have a look on the AV Forums website and see what they say. I find their videos of recommended settings very helpful if you have not got a calibration disc. Make a note of those settings and try them on your chosen model in the shop. At the end of the day if you are satisfied with the picture quality that is all that matters. Hope this helps . . . .
rsyboye
Explorer

Sound advice! Thanks

I'm planning to do just that, take them out of demo modes, take in some of my own content to then compare.

I'm with you, I don't care about 3D, I'm actively pushing against curved models (admitedly for no logical reason other than an asthetic preference).  I can see benefits of a well implemented 'working'  android TV system, it does appeal.

I'd think I'd be happy to buy a dumb TV; a great performing 4k panel and let the smart features be added with my own devices.

I'll let you know how I get on.