Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
MaxUHD

I think a number of us just use the TV as a display for some other set-top box. I use a satellite box with 2 satellite tuners together with a terrestrial  tuner.  With HDD recording in the box I almost have all I need. The extra that Sony gives me is easy access to casting, both music and video, from my smartphone and the use of apps like Mobdro.

Sony, IMHO made their primary mistake when setting the CPU (Mediatek) and available RAM.... Cheapskates

On the plus side Sony have promised to update the OS to Marshmallow (Android 6) so I think there will be support beyond March 29. And don't forget a lot of updates can come, after Sony stop support, directly from Google updating its system apps itself. Just as happens on your smartphone now.

I use the Android features of my KD49X8307CSU 4K TV every day. Particularly the Kodi and YouTube apps. I also use YouView and the catch-up apps 2 or 3 times a week. So I don't feel that I'm using it as a display. The majority of the time Kodi and YouTube run smoothly and responsively with sluggishness showing up after a couple of weeks use or so. A restart always cures this and I get another couple of weeks of hassle free viewing. I'm not getting any freezes, crashes, phantom switch-ons etc. The build date on my set is 04/2015 so I'm guessing it has the original hardware configuration - not sure if any later sets are any different though?  It is for these reasons thar I'm not sure that it is a processor speed or memory size problem? If that was the case I would definitely be seeing the same issues as everyone else; but I'm not and that is what's really puzzling me. I didn't even bother with the last update because it did not add any new festures and I was OK with what I have. So is there any scope for a different cause of all the issues that people are seeing?

mrrcoffey
Explorer

I'm very happy to report that Currys have agreed to a full refund, and they're coming to take it away on Friday.  I honestly couldn't fault Currys' customer services in this matter - I sent an email last week requesting a refund as the TV was not fit for purpose (bought in August, so well outside any returns window), and got a phonecall a few days later from a very helpful agent called Josh, who promised to investigate and contact Sony.  He came back to me today confirming the full refund, and didn't send me through the mill of sending an egineer etc etc.  I was very fortunate that he seemed to be really switched on to the issue at hand, and understood why a repair or replacement would not work.  

Hooray!  My advice: know your rights, explain why they apply, explain why repairs will not solve the issue, and direct them to this forum as evidence that the issues are affecting the vast majority.

adyjay33

Well thats good news as I will just go into the Andover store with a print out of your post, if its one rule for one then it will be one rule for all... I am standing my ground that I am not contacting Sony again and they can do the dirty work for me.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Titis_0000 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Please note this same firmware is to be released for the UK by the end of this month, at which point consumers having the Ireland version won't be able to update to the UK version anymore.

Another dumb move, so I updated to Ireland firmware a few days ago and now I won't be able to switch back??

profile.country.en_GB.title
mimorga46
Explorer

This is exactly what happened to me as reported in this forum just over a week ago and I too found Currys (on line) very helpful and sympathetic. They have got more clout against Sony than individuals and if more people assert themselves over their statutory rights they will get the what they want. I echo entirely your final comment with regard to showing the retailer the concerns being expressed in this forum - well said sir! I would also show them the contributions from those of us who have received our full refund which is surely a "winning point" . . .  

Jimmyjamh
Explorer

@Risc0n wrote:

@Titis_0000 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Please note this same firmware is to be released for the UK by the end of this month, at which point consumers having the Ireland version won't be able to update to the UK version anymore.

Another dumb move, so I updated to Ireland firmware a few days ago and now I won't be able to switch back??

Why would you update to a firmware version from another territory? Is there a benefit? 

lmfmvdv2
Explorer

Some experiences from my side on the HDD recording

1) sometimes recordings fail or stop due to "unknown error" 

2) I can't seem to record 2 programs at the time even if my TV should have dual DVB tuners

3) Though recording a program works, there seems to be no possibility to time-shift (pause) an ongoing program

4) from the program guide it is hard to find out which program on which channel you are recording

Hoping for futher enhancements after next SW release.... 

paulconvey
Explorer

@Risc0n wrote:

@Titis_0000 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Please explain why this is an issue - functionally the TV operates better and we lose Youview, which is awful?

The UK firmware has been bundled with extra software, when the hardware is already struggling to keep up.   From the outset, all that Youview offers is a degraded experience, which serves nothing but viewing statistics to whomever Sony has cut a deal with.  This is not in the customers best interest.

Additionally, the "Irish" firmware is also meant for european customers.  Are we not part of Europe?

Unless you've specifically added extra code to do exactly what you've described, which again would serve no purpose to the end customer, other than locking them into Youview.  Why couldn't I just conduct a manual update at a later date?  I might not be able to update to the next UK firmware, as it would probably recognise that the firmware is the same revision.  However, the one after that should be fine (I've disabled automatic updates).

Can you also explain why the tech department are quick to interject with a statement like this, when you could interject at any other post, like refund policy, which clearly is something people need guidance/ reassurance from.  There are clearly some very unhappy customers, what are you doing about that?

paulconvey
Explorer

@nealrushforth wrote:

Hi

How is the lip sync with this firmware when watching Digital HD channels?

Hi there, so far I haven't experienced any lipsync issues.  I should also say that I conducted a factory reset after the upgrade, as some settings are carried over.

Kind regards

Paul

paulconvey
Explorer

@andipr wrote:

Paulconvey - Does this Fw add PAP/PIP functionality?

Thanks.

Hello there, I just tried it, after hunting around the menus.  It does work, but you have to be watching a hdmi source and then select the action menu.  Seems to function quite well, although it appears you can only have one audio source, which you can select.