Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Dazrise3

Hi all, installed the update via USB, it downloads onto the TV then just get the home menu and nothing else. Any ideas
profile.country.GB.title
chrcook50
Explorer

Hi, I purchased a KD-65X8509C a couple of weeks ago and so far I'm been pretty happy with it. Picture quality is great and the UI has been nice and snappy.

Couple of things missing, like 5.1 audio, but that should be coming, good to hear the apps are coming along (eventually).

However....

It tried to do a firmware update Wednesday night. I just said ok and went to bed. Next morning it was still on the update screen. I've spoken to Sony tech support a few times, restarted the set, same update screen, tried downloading the firmware and installing from USB, same problem.

It starts, shows the update screen and the LED at the bottom flashes white, after a while the screen stays the same and the LED changes to solid purple.

This has been escalated up a couple of levels in Sony tech support and the say they'll get back to me next week.

My issue now is that the wife is not happy about all this money I've "wasted" on this big silly TV which is sitting on the floor while we're watching a five year old Samsing from the spare room.

I've got till Monday to call currys and get them to replace or refund it. Currys don't even list the model on their website anymore so I'm really tempted to get my money back and get a panasonic (I've had a few and they've all been great).

Anyone got any ideas on anything else I can try?

NickCo1979

Sadly your best bet is probably to return it and get something else from a different manufacturer. The list of issues with these TVs and the poor support from Sony means that if you have the option to get a refund that's probably the best option.

If you go through the support channels you'll just get instructions to do endless factory resets until they finally fix the firmware in a few months time.

Mine is back in the box and I'm using my 9 year old Samsung instead 😞

profile.country.GB.title
chrcook50
Explorer

well, I just reread the USB firmware update instructions and it states to use the top USB port which is USB1. The Sony support lady had told me to use USB2 (for some reason).

I've just tried the USB stick in USB1 and the update has worked and we're back up and running.

Given most of the issues seem to be with either features I don't use (freeview, freesat and some apps I can get elsewhere) or I haven't noticed yet. It's mostly used as dumb display for Sky, my HTPC (Plex) and Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV,consoles etc. I think I'll stick it out. The promise is huge for android TV and I'm a bit of an Sony and Google fanboy (phone, watch, etc).

alellio01

@Nickco

Hi Nick, does in the box mean you are returning yours ?. I still have that agreement with the retailer, So time to start looking for something else for myself. I think a lot of the original testers has given up posting, or just returned the TV.

Dtay91
Explorer

I will be returning my 43X8305C. The TV is so Laggy I cringe when I switch it on. The menus are slow even when selecting a different HDMI you get a delay. So many apps missing and so many bugs. I find the picture to be out of sync with motion and sound. Very disappointed in Sony. Will probably go Samsung next.
manc11
Explorer

Hi, just purchased the 49x8305c. After seeing some of the problems encountered by folks here I was a little unsure. Anyway, TV seems to be fine. Set up only took 20 mins with the update too. Just wondering if anyone has any idea or links to get the best out of the pic. Out of the box seems to be ordinary, messed about a bit but you know how it is!

thanks...

lesking70

Does anyone else get bad stuttering when streaming video via dlna? Getting beyond a joke now with all these errors!
profile.country.GB.title
BillGlover
Explorer

I have a KD-43X8305C (2015 Android Bravia) and can relate to many of the issues talked about above. The most frustrating thing with the TV though doesn't appear to get much of a mention: The Guide or EPG (Powered by Gracenote).

My Setup:

- No terrestrial TV aerial plugged in (poor signal quality)

- Old Sky dish used to provide Freesat channels (using TV without separate Freesat box)

- Network (both wired and WiFi available)

The Issue:

- The guide only shows the current and sometimes the next programme for the channels being watched

- If I'm watching BBC1 HD I sometimes see the current programme listed for BBC2 HD

- The guide resets to being empty if the TV is powered off

- The guide never pupulates the full channels listings (even if left for weeks) - I'm aware that it can take hours to populate on older TVs

I've tried:

- All latest updates

- Full re-tune

- Using the TV SideView App instead

My question for the community is this: Has anyone got the guide working with Freesat only? My worry is that I'll need to fall back to digital terrestrial which is going to be a challenge due to signal strength.

profile.country.GB.title
nickbaker66
Explorer

Has anyone got a working skyhd remote control code for the new android tv's Thanks