Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373

Just switched on my Dec 2015 43W809C and screen was one big splash of the word 'Synergy' (with 'is coming' beneath in a smaller font).  I could not get rid of this - and could not get YouView guide up - no matter how I tried. I had to reboot to get rid of it,.  What's that all about?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@dazworld what you describe is such a mess and so long that it's hard to try to help you out...

I do not know about the fw in UK with Youview if may behave differently (did you think about disabling youview....) but the most of symptoms you are describing could be related to not having done a full factory reset after upgrading the fw: did you do it? If not try and came back with a feedback please.

HairyFool

Since the last update I have noticed a few new issues.

1 Remote "keybounce". It used to happen before where a keypress would repeat. Select channel 1 and I would get 11 but not too often. Now it is much more noticeable taking 3 or 4 attempts to get to the required channel.

2 New junkware on the home screen. I just want to get rid of it but delete is not an option.

3 Entering Digital TV guide (satellite guide is totally pointless) it lists the programs as it should but when I press the down arrow instead of moving down the list it clear altogether and presents an empty Timer List

4 Navigating through the guide frequently crashes and locks up.

5 I do not agree to the Privacy terms, I bought a TV not a data collection device. Until this update that was no problem and it did not affect how I used the TV. This update would not download unless I agreed and now network setup will not process unless the policy is agreed to. 

dmitchel7
New

After suffering the same problems and submitting 5 complaints to Sony up to CEO level I finally gave up on the Sony Bravia experiment and wrote to the CEO of Currys. Got a positive response within 24 hours and have returned the TV for a full refund today. Currys realise that their 21day returns policy does not hold water with this appalling product which should not have got off the development benches at Sony.

mattface

I have have a giant brick where my TV used to be. KDL-50W805C

It asked to upgrade before I went to bed, I selected to do it, went to bed, and got up to find it rebooting.

Starts by showing the Sony logo, then the Android loading colour spinny thing, then it just resets and starts again.

Power cycling doesnt help.

Tried putting firmware on a USB stuck but it doesnt attempt to read it.

Have opened a case with Sony but have been waiting a week and all I get told every time I call is "it has been escalated to technical support".

I don't need support, I need a working TV!

I wish I had returned it when I first thought it was crap, but Amazon aren't interested as it's been months.

DarrellM
Explorer

@mattface Welcome to the 'not so' exclusive club of Sony Bravia bricked TVs

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-bravia-android-tv-issues/m-p/2111541#M40560

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-bravia-android-tv-issues/m-p/2113729#M40686

Mine's been bricked since the day of the Feb 2nd update. 

@Hansieboyke has the same issue too.

My last communication with Sony Support was via email a few days ago:

Thank you for contacting Sony support.
As per your last email, kindly note that your case has been escalated to level 3 support (Highest level).
I will be calling you back as soon as I get a reply from them, and we are sorry for the delay.

I'm seriously considering driving to Sony's head office and dumping it on their doorstep. It might make a nice news article for the tech websites :wink: 

mattface

I had a feeling that as it was a firmware upgrade that caused it, there would be plenty of others.

What the hell Sony think they are doing "investigating" it, when they should have been immediately sending out replacements, is beyond me.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@mattface

Amazon are a retailer, and bound by the Sale of Goods Act same as any other retailer. These sets are arguably 'not of merchantable quality', and you have six years in which to act,

But do ensure you bought it from Amazon and not through Amazon. In the latter case, your redress would be against the actual Marketplace seller, not Amazon.

Also, if you paid more than £100 of the price on a credit card, you have a Section 75 claim against your credit card supplier, jointly and severally with the retailer. 'Severally' meaning if the retailer is defunct, say, the credit card company is liable for the whole amount.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@mattface wrote:

I had a feeling that as it was a firmware upgrade that caused it, there would be plenty of others.

What the hell Sony think they are doing "investigating" it, when they should have been immediately sending out replacements, is beyond me.

Think about it - send out a new set, do the same update, get brick Mk2.

Sony want to fix the issues globally and roll out a new release, not just replace sets piecemeal that might very well do exactly the same thing again.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
DarrellM
Explorer

Sony should send us out updated TVs and collect the bricked ones not leave us without anything at all.