Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
cjazz2016
Explorer

Hoping to either purchase a Sony KDL-43W805C or the Sony KDL-43W807C, but why is there a difference with the scan frequency on the two models? One is 800hz and the other 900hz, I thought the only difference was that one model was black and the other was silver. Is there any significant quality differences between the 800hz and 900hz models?

I am also concerned about the reported slow android system, is this a real issue? Does the new firmware from Feb 2016 make a big difference in improving the slow anderoid system?

oodles2do

@cjazz2016

I don't know about those exact models, but I read that the refresh rates given for TV models (a lot of brands) aren't the true refresh rates. For instance, for Sony it's around 4x the true value, my TV said it's got 800Hz, with a Sony patented name for it (can't remember what it's called) when infact the true value is 200Hz.

Hope this helps when comparing to other models and previous TV's which had 50 or 100Hz.

With regards to the OS, I've had minimal issues, UK firmware, it's not really satisfactory still. Considering it's now 2016 and a £900 TV, you'd expect it to be flawless, with turning the TV fully off, rather than standby, every few days it's a lot better.

But you could get a TV that suddenly bricks on a new firmware like other people have had, and then you'd be a lot less happy than I am.

profile.country.GB.title
rnbetsy

The youview is still slow (compared to my BT youview box)
and3ys
Explorer

I have the kdl 55w805c and after the Feb update it made a huge improvement
to the responsiveness of the remote especially in the you view guide not
perfect but usable!
I do have the odd occasion where the tv will not respond to the remote for
around 30 secs when in an app but this could be due too the app not the tv!
Overall I'm very happy with the picture quality etc and fortunately I
haven't experienced many of the problems that many people on this forum
have,and I genuinely feel for every one of you as these tvs were very
expensive when first released some still are! But the only thing I have
been waiting patiently for is the HDD rec and pip/pap
If sony push that update back any further than March 31st in the UK I won't
be very happy to say the least!

I paid £1000 for this tv and it had HDD rec allover the box as well as a
sticker underneath one of the USB ports!that was in august 2015 it is now
Feb 2016 and still nothing!

Sorry about that everyone,
A sort of review turned into a rant
That's what sony have done to me and I'm probably not on my own!
chbjerg

I am using VyprVPN, who has an app for Android TV. Easy as selecting the country you want to "be in" and click connect... Tested with Netflix - works perfectly. Check it out at https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

chbjerg wrote:

I am using VyprVPN, who has an app for Android TV. Easy as selecting the country you want to "be in" and click connect...

Don't forget to switch off automatic Sony Firmware updates otherwise you could get an update not intended for you.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@and3ys HDD recording and pip/pap where released all over europe yesterday well in advance of the planned Feb 29th, so finger crossed for you guys in UK :wink:

profile.country.NL.title
FlipStone

And it has been pulled already again as well as it caused new issues with a certain brand CI+ module (Smit) and provider (old ziggo area). Zapping to encoded channels caused lockups (blackscreen and audio from previous channel).

There are some workarounds (disabling interactive tv and changing channels through the guide) but yeah, another screwup.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Flipstone and others

To clarrify - The OTA has been stopped.  The update is still available for all EU countries via download (usb) except for the Netherlands.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@cjazz2016 wrote:

Hoping to either purchase a Sony KDL-43W805C or the Sony KDL-43W807C, but why is there a difference with the scan frequency on the two models? One is 800hz and the other 900hz, I thought the only difference was that one model was black and the other was silver. Is there any significant quality differences between the 800hz and 900hz models?

I am also concerned about the reported slow android system, is this a real issue? Does the new firmware from Feb 2016 make a big difference in improving the slow Android system?

You will see no difference with the scan frequency settings.

And despite Sony's assurances to the contrary, I remain sceptical that there is any difference, as it would not make the remotest manufacturing or marketing sense to muddy the water of the aesthetic choices of bezel and stand colour with minor manufacturing, or even just configuration, differences.

On the other hand, it did not make the remotest manufacturing or marketing sense to release these TVs in the initial state they were in, so what do I know? :dizzy:

These sets, even on YouView, go perfectly fast enough after a restart, which is simply and painlessly achieved by a ten-second press of the On button on the remote, something you can quickly and easily do if the set goes sludgy on you. Sony are anyway working to resolve the sludginess, release by release, and one day they may even get there.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking