Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Djnads
Explorer

Since the last firmware update my tv turns itself on every day, but not at the same time each day!  I've checked the timer is set to off.  I also have a periodic problem with no sound and have to rest the unit to overcome this.

ive had the tv (8509c) for 4 months and had hoped the various updates would have sorted these issues, but they appear to either make them worse or bring new problems.  I'm going to try and return it as its not fit for purpose!!

dazworld

@kevfarme

I bought the 49x8309 2015 Android set at full price in September (stupid me for trusting Sony - I won't be doing that again). I'm keen to know which Panasonic you got?

I wrote a complaint letter to Sony some weeks ago (which I copied on this forum) and they finally responded. They have not answered any of the concerns I had e.g. why no HDD and the general unreliability of the set - saying I should waste 2 hours on a call to technical help to go through the 36 issues I listed as issues, and that will add to the 8 issues I've experienced since the last Feb firmware update. 

So, I'm going to reply and instruct the customer services operative to escalate my case. Meanwhile tell them Sony has lost a life-long customer.

WilliamHill
Explorer

I am also having the same problem, last time when I wanted to record a match, everything was perfectly fine and the match was recording, but then suddenly the tv turned off and the match wasn't recorded.

jadeee

PANASONIC VIERA TX-50CX700B Smart 3D Ultra HD 4k 50" LED TV - £699 at Currys

kevfarme

As jadee says later in the thread :slight_smile:  The Panasonic I purchased is the VIERA TX-50CX700B.  Ok, We're not quite into the third month of ownership but so far it is a totally different experience to the SONY that I took back in disgust.  The Panasonic is a better picture (I didn't think I'd say that when comparing against a SONY screen but there you go) and it just simply works as a tv should.  No messing about, no ambiguity, no trepidation about switching it on and wondering if it will actually work it just does.  

The Currys price is actually £50 less than when I purchased back in December os it makes it even more of a bargain.  You could always try to get some sort of store manager deal too.  It doesn't hurt to ask for a free soundbar to be thrown into the package, they can only say no.  The store manager at Cannock refused to knock the extra £50 off from the higher price of the Panasonic against the SONY I took back.  I could not be bothered to push the point as I jsut wanted to get out of the store.

profile.country.DE.title
wuenschselben
Explorer

Hi all.

Another amusing thing is that the last three reviews for this TV on the John Lewis web site originate from customers visiting sony.com:
http://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-kd49x83-4k-ultra-hd-android-tv-49-with-freeview-hd-youview-buil...

Sat here watching my pleasantly stable, reliable, always turns on and off when so requested, non-bricked LG 55UF860V.

Sent from my iPad
walshy5050

Looks like Philips are going down the same road with android  tv let's see how they go with it 

http://4k.com/news/a-look-at-philips-2016-4k-uhd-and-hd-tv-range-with-hdr-and-android-tv-12475/

adyjay33

I think its about time I decided what to do, three days in a row now its come on with no screen on the TV side and only sound, then YouView has the cheek to come up and tell me whats on but wont show me!

This has got worse since the last update and yes its been reset and the agony of setting Kodi up again is time consuming and very boring.

Is anyone else getting this issue since the update, I have had this before on many occasions in other firmeware releases but it seemed to be gone in the one in Dec 2015, so are Sony going backwards or are they just using previous fimware releases and hoping small modifications will work, but forgetting that that particular firmware had problems of its own too which they have not corrected?

I really cant take this much more, I was prepared to give Sony a chance till the 31st March 2016 and they have made it worse for me.

All I want to do is come home, press a button and its comes on without any issues at all, I dont want to have to spend 10 minutes trying to get the TV to reboot as it refuses to respond to the remote and just sits there probably laughting at me, the only way it to fight the mounds of cables I have, find the plug and unplug it.

Sorry Sony that is not acceptable!

Who does the quality control testing on these TV's... kindergarden kids?

What annoys me also is why have Europe and the States got HDD/PIP/PAP etc... when we still dont, are they taking the preverbial out of us?

Well Sony no more products will be purchased from you by me and I will let everyone I know not to buy any products from you.

I wonder if Philips will produce a decent Android TV that works? If they do then we can well and truely blame the so called coders at Sony for this issue.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
mattstev

So on Tuesday I finally decided I had had enough and spoke with the Sony Centre I purchased by 49 inch Bravia from.

Initially they declined my request to refund me (purchased 4 months ago) and offered to give me a credit note and lend me a TV until the new models arrive in the summer.

After mentioning Sale of Goods Act (very briefly and no more than saying SOG) they rang me back 10 minutes later agreeing to a full refund.

They picked up the TV yesterday from my house and refunded me a few hours later.

I have now bought a Panasonic 50CX680B from John Lewis which does exactly what it says on the tin. No lip sync issues, has a very responsive remote and has all the catchup apps. Only difference is I can not cast some of my apps to it (BT Sport for example) but that is easily fixed with a Chromecast device.

Very pleased with it.

Signing off now... Thanks Sony, in the end your customer service delivered what you TVs could not!

profile.country.GB.title
rnbetsy

It seems the biggest winner from Sony's Android TV's is Panasonic :slight_smile: