Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
dambus
Explorer

If absolutely agree i should have been clearer in what is said, see updated post. If am so used to working with uncompressed pcm in tend to only think in these terms. Having had a similar issue the problem can often be incompatible compression/encodation standards.

Sent from Samsung tablet
jack32467

No he doesn't mention compressed / uncompressed audio

He states "5.1 will not work over optical connection" and that "optical is a 2 channel connection" both of these are false, Optical connections carry multi channel audio just fine as DD or DTS - and are rated to carry up to 7.1 discrete seperated audio

cozzykim

Sorry, it was already edited when I replied.

wills_b

Let's also be clear on another thing:

5.1 does not work via optical on this TV. The in built video app will output as 5.1 but numerous users on here report that the actual sound coming out is stereo.

No other app will output 5.1.

That is the biggest flaw in this tv for me at present, shocking that something so simple and fundamental as surround sound from any app in a "smart" tv can be missing this far after launch.

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Most of the hdtv not only from sony won't output 5.1 through optical. You should use hdmi-arc and even with it you may find difficult sending dts over it
wills_b

Which would be fine if HDMI-ARC could send 5.1 but the TV won't output it.

Sent from my iPhone
Sdroid

Sonys video app and kodi is passing through both dts and Dolby
profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

I've been using my android tv for about a month now, whist I've not had any issues with it that I've seen in this thread. The only thing that I can't find an answer for is the led power light under the TV, I use my tv in the bedroom and use the sleep timer to turn it off, when I set it it goes orange, that's fine, but the next day when I go to turn it on the light is still orange its stayed on all night and day, or sometimes the light is off. What is that all about? The light goes back white when I turn it on. The only other thing is the menus can be a bit laggy using the IR remote, but Netflix and Amazon play perfect on my fibre broadband using the built in wifi. The menu's don't lag when I use the sideview app on my phone which makes me think the touchpad remote might be a better remote to use with this tv. The IR sucks if you don't point the remote right at the light its hopeless.
oANUBISo
New

No but it does carry DD5.1 DTS 5.1
I have DTS running through optical from my TV with Kodi/PS4.

Surround from TV/ps4 works with ARC too, but there's a one second delay on
Dolby/DTS audio from the PS4 and PS3.. Really annoying in shooters! PCM
works fine without delay, but it's only stereo... -.-