Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
grandyle
Explorer

@rnbetsy, glad to know I'm not the only one. You're right, I've used YouView on other platforms and it works great.

The endless 'loading...' screen after hitting guide and then waiting some more for it to load channel icons, then the actual listings is infuriating. You go somewhere else on the TV, you have to sit through all that again. When YouView is in memory, Android itself just grinds to a halt. Disable it, Android is silky smooth and works just fine. Would love to know if it's just a bad port that hasn't been optimized.

frankie1g

But I bet you are.angry about the qs uhd.issue 

Sent from my Samsung device
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Quinnicus

I would respond if I could, but this stupid bustard Sony software won't
let me in again, and the way it has sent me your message won't even let
me bustard reply to it as such, so I am replying to this other one by
email, and I hope you will see it.

Get Sony to fix their stupid, always breaking, forum software setup, and
I will answer you.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Quinnicus wrote:

@royabrown wrote:
YouView is a channel, not just an app. 

@royabrown - Can you explain for me what you mean by this?  My take is that YouView is a software application of an alternative EPG?  And inside YouView contain many 'sub apps'

Hoo-bloody-ray, it let me back in.

Quinnicus, you need to look in Settings/Channels if you want to turn YouView off; though it does turn on from what looks like an App.

it operates at about the same level as Freeview, which is pretty much baked in to the Android TV OS on these sets; apps coexist, and can be turned on and off at will, even though only one has the foreground at any one time (generally - there are exceptions for some of the sys-level ops). But YouView drives the Freeview UI clean away, so it is much more an overlay on (or instead of) some of the Android OS, rather than just an app.

And yes, there are apps that run under it, and only under it, like the ITV Hub and All4; but these are apps, not sub-apps, for whatever this distinction is worth.

And while YouView provides an alternative EPG, it is rather more than just an alternative EPG, as you will see if it ever gains its recording capability.

As above, YouView replaces (and therefore functions as) part of the OS. Hence more than an App; and the terminology Sony/YouView have chosen for this is 'Channel'.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@grandyle wrote:

@rnbetsy, glad to know I'm not the only one. You're right, I've used YouView on other platforms and it works great.

The endless 'loading...' screen after hitting guide and then waiting some more for it to load channel icons, then the actual listings is infuriating. You go somewhere else on the TV, you have to sit through all that again. When YouView is in memory, Android itself just grinds to a halt. Disable it, Android is silky smooth and works just fine. Would love to know if it's just a bad port that hasn't been optimized.

This is not anything I see at all, as a YouView issue, though getting sludgy is a known problem with these TVs.

Hopefully, a Factory Reset will not be needed to clear it; but try the soft reset, where you press the On/Standby button on the remote for about ten seconds and the set turns off and then on again, and see if this doesn't solve it for you.

grandyle
Explorer

@royabrown - thanks. Do you think perhaps my W75C is just woefully underpowered? Without YouView enabled, everything runs fine - no random reboots or laggy UI - just as good as my Nexus Player. I suppose I'll just use the Freeview EPG from here on in. On the plus side, Sony escalated my very lengthy laundry list of bugs further up the chain, so fingers crossed a few of the major issues might now be addressed.

frankie1g

So disappointed with the uhd issue the picture quality is really good through sky q uhd.but then 15 mins in the judder starts.
So in reverse to 1080p. And sitting thinking why on earth have in not put a brick through this TV.

Sent from my Samsung device
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@grandyle wrote:

@royabrown - thanks. Do you think perhaps my W75C is just woefully underpowered? Without YouView enabled, everything runs fine - no random reboots or laggy UI - just as good as my Nexus Player. I suppose I'll just use the Freeview EPG from here on in. On the plus side, Sony escalated my very lengthy laundry list of bugs further up the chain, so fingers crossed a few of the major issues might now be addressed.

No, I think your W75C is about the same, power wise, as my 2015 UHD non-3D 43in Android set is.

Did you try the soft reset I suggested?

If not, give it a try before you flee back to the Freeview side, losing a couple of catchup players as you go, and see if YouView isn't as snappy as you could like once that has been done,

grandyle
Explorer

@royabrown - I did try the soft reset, but no change. Actually, that's the only way I can get the TV to restart when it hangs. Sony asked me to do a factory reset, which I did, but made no difference. I'm off today, so I might go through the logs to see what's doing what. Maybe I can figure out why it switches itself on in the middle of the night and restarts half way through Eastenders!

We do have some of the 2016 models in the office that I haven't used yet. I'm quite eager to see how they perform.

profile.country.en_GB.title
petsmart

Guys, I have been quiet on the forum for a while. I have a 55x8509c and it is performing much better. The latest update seems to speed things up a little...not sure what else..

issues i still face are:

1. you tube sync still terrible

2. 5.1 output from certain apps via inbuilt chromecast function

Anyway, the main point of my post, I see Sky Q has been mentioned a few times. I am getting this installed this weekend.

Can i confirm the exact issues people are having?

If its set at the higher output resolution (UHD) does it always judder? for example if watching a standard def or HD channel does it not manage to downscale?

Is the only resolution currently to downscale it to 1080p?

I know Sony have put a note on their support page but does anybody have information about what exactly the issue is and the intended time of resolution?  The downside now is the speed of the updates coming through are now few and far between.

cheers