Join now - be part of our community!

4K HDR Content on XF9005 Too Dark and colorless, washed out - Pure source.

profile.country.GR.title
Ste571

4K HDR Content on XF9005 Too Dark and colorless, washed out - Pure source.

I have read similar posts about Dark and washed out HDR 4k, (when watched on youtube) but that

did not help my problem.Neither did answer my questions I am not watching 4k on youtube but through an external HDD connected to usb port.

I am new to 4k HDR, and this tv is new and after I tried to play pure , I repeat, "pure" 4k content through usb using the internal tv player, I was really dissapointed.

First of all 4k looks very dark, compared to 1080p (same source) even with the brightest settings I tried. I increased gamma, black, every brightness setting nothing. Its just looks worse and almost unbearable to watch.

Also it looks less colorful than 1080  blu ray and a bit more washed out . I do not understand if there is some setting I must do or if thats how 4k looks like, or it is just the specific model of Sony.

I would appreciate if someone could help . Ty.

25 REPLIES 25
profile.country.GR.title
Ste571

I saw your post brother, and unfortunately i am informing you that after 1 year of research and tests there is not solution. 2 are the main culprits. 1 Is Sony rather insufficient 4K ability, and two and more important is the still entry level of HDR disks.

HDR is still progressing and its still on beta stage no matter what you hear from other sources.Do not buy HDR disks unless you have a huge tv in your home. Yes of courrse there are some 4k HDR sources that you put them into a usb stick or you connect to a hard disk and they look flawlessly. But mostly those are few and how they made is important.

I also realized that even 55 inches are not enough to spot big differences between 4k and 1080p. Basically what you need is a screen over 65 inches to enjoy proper a 4k and a 4k HDR. Sony is an excellet brand and XF series are amazing i am super happy with it. But they cant support proper quality in HDR. In addition to that, 4k is not appropriate for the present  but it will take 4-5 years at least and new development on our tvs to enjoy this ultra high definition properly in smaller size tvs.

profile.country.GB.title
Kenny62
Explorer

The problem with my Sony XF 9005 isn’t the fact the screen size is too
small for HDR or 4K it’s because the screen goes completely dark because
the brightness limiter comes in whenever HDR is to be displayed on my
screen there is a fault The screen becomes far too dull for any definition
HD also.
profile.country.GB.title
stewartgordon4

I GOT A REPLY BACK FROM SONY SUPPORT AND THEY ARE SAYING THERE IS NO FAULT ON THE TV BUT THE FAULT IS WITH THE APPS THEY SAY THEY HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THE APP CONTENT THAT INCLUDES THE PICTURE QUILTY

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

errrrrr......... so what is the problem here actually? TV that does not work in HDR or the fact that HDR on a material that is not filmed with HDR in mind looks almost like non HDR apart from obvious increased brightness cause TV cranks it up all the way? I mean, we all knew that UHD HDR is 95% marketing first....

I can see the difference between dolby demo materials and regular BR and it is huge. As expected, since demos are always crafted that way. But Edge of Tomorrow in 4k HDR is nowhere near that different than than regular 1080p BR.

profile.country.GB.title
Kenny62
Explorer

That from Sony does not surprise me I got nowhere with their customer
services how come the apps With HDR work perfectly well with 4K HD capable
screens of other manufacturers do not have these problems with those apps
I tried the BBC app it’s highly reputable but HDR is the problem because if
you download 4K without it it works it’s A defective screen.
profile.country.GR.title
Ste571

Sonny's answer did not surprise me. And yes size matters because HDR works exactly on shadows and lighting. SO the bigger the screen is the more bright and more detailed those HDR shadows will be.

So what does Sonny basically saying here? " We are not responsible for the still progressive market of HDR despite the fact that 95% of the customers buy an HDR screen for exactly that faulty market..."

So since you know already that your product does not well with vast majority of HDR disks why you release it then, and mostly why we pay an expensive price additionally for HDR? Why you release a product that aims on a faulty market if that is the case?  I wish Sonny can reply to that.

In the end of the day. Size, UHD disk and Sonny;s as I said insufficient HDR display system are all responsible. HDR plays a bit better in other similar brands but not what you expected to be, or what you had paid for. So now they have released HDR+2 so this may improve the things a bit but of course our current Tvs do not support it.

We live in an era where you pay for a product and does not correspond to your standards unless you pay a vast amount of money.  That involves every brand every product. The competition is big.  We need to go 40 years back (at least) to find that mentality that respects the customer no matter what you buy.