Join now - be part of our community!

Alexa Support EU/UK?

profile.country.GB.title
macarte92

Alexa Support EU/UK?

Just seen that Alexa support is coming to US models, would be great if this comes to EU / UK models and more of them as it seems fairly limited.

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have already sent my contact within Sony this same very question.  Also the author of this article HERE is also trying to find out. 

Cheers

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It is really frustrating to see how much care Google puts into its own Android TV platform.

YouTube is still on a version from a year ago with the old interface and some major bugs like live streams being played at 240p only. Even other competing TV platforms received the 2.0 update months before. Just keep in mind that YouTube is a Google service...

YouTube on Android TV still does not support HDR playback.

HDR movies on the Google Play Movies store will initially not be available on Android TV.

Now the thing that Alexa will be supported on Android TV even before Google Home.

Who does Google want to fool when they say that Android TV is a significant platform? It gets mostly deployed to cheap Chinese boxes. Sony and Philips both don't have it under good control. It is a real tragedy.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All

At present, there are no current plans to introduce Amazon Echo (Alexa) support in the UK/EU market.  A suggestion is to contact Amazon UK (or EU) themselves to highlight this.

Cheers

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

hmmmmmm............ and how is that related to amazon only? So, if SONY has nothing to do with it, then it should give us the .apk from firmware so that we can test it and see how it works.

And more important question, why only ATV2 platform???? What does it have that it can do it but ATV1 can't? A guy did that a looooong time ago by himself with some node.js and stuff. Amazon doesn't limt usage of echo just on the markets where it is officially available. I got mine in UK last year and it works just fine in Croatia. In english. But it works,

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

kinggo01 schrieb:
And more important question, why only ATV2 platform???? What does it have that it can do it but ATV1 can't?

Support for ATV1 has to cease at one point in time. I expected this to happen much earlier anyway even though Sony still released products based on ATV1 just last year...

Guess Sony needs major new selling points...

Global TV Market Share

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

yeah....... I just wish they stopped before MM :rolling_eyes:

profile.country.GB.title
macarte92

Alexa app beta is now available on my XD8305

Works like a charm!

profile.country.GB.title
Peterslevin
Explorer