Join now - be part of our community!

Android 7.0: Picture settings in SDR vs HDR

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Android 7.0: Picture settings in SDR vs HDR

Can anyone please confirm that in Android 7.0 there are different picture settings depending if the content is in HDR instead of SDR? I am 100% positive that at least Brightness, Color and Contrast were different, if not comletely separated. I did various test just after upgrading to 7.0 from 6.0.1 and that was how it worked. Now it changes only the Brightness.

I need to know because in case I will reset (AGAIN!!!) the TV to factory settings. Unless the last Android update changed (or better: ruined) it. 

Same thing for HDMI ARC inputs: Are the settings only for HDMI ARC or HDMI ARC (PS4) is different, for example, from HDMI ARC (PS3) or HDMI ARC (Apple TV)? 

Actually I believe at least the HDR settings were different even in Android 6.0.1. Is that the case?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi Jecht

That should be a reproducible issue, although of course very difficult to confirm if people have already upgraded! It does seem odd that Brightness would be the only user-configurable setting.

Perhaps one of our community might be able to check their settings before upgrading; meanwhile we can ask the support team for confirmation if the issue persists.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Hi @Mick_D,

please do ask the support team. Also because I always had issues with the Picture settings. For example it happened that I was in YouTube, which uses the "App (Video)" settings, and in the Settings panel few times it showed "HDMI 2". I can't confirm this also happened after the last update.

As I am sure that the Contrast between SDR and HDR was different. In Amazon Video I used Contrast 90 for SDR and Contrast 80 for HDR. I know because I played with that various times. Now they are all the same, and any change in a mode gets applied to the other.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

So I did a factory reset, asked in the Italian forum as well, and it appears only Brightness and Gamma change between SDR and HDR. Which is disappointing since I am very sure most Picture settings had their own values in SDR and in HDR, before the last update (Colour and Contrast for starting). Instead of improving that OS looses features. Bah.