Join now - be part of our community!

Android TV iOS App

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Android TV iOS App

Does anybody use the Android TV iOS app? At every connection attempt with the TV, the Android TV Remote Service requires a re-pairing, asking to input the displayed PIN. So basically every time you close and re-open the app, the TV requires a re-pairing.

Clearing data and cache of the Android TV Remote Service didn’t fix it.

Does anybody experience the same issue?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

It seems like a (typical) Bluetooth pairing issue to me. Have you tried with Video & TV SideView: Quick Remote? Although, unless you use the voice option (not available for iOS when I set it up for my brother in law) it makes no use of Bluetooth.

Personally I have a similar issue from the Mac. I use an app to use the Mac as a Bluetooth keyboard, but it pairs and then at each manual reconnection it loses the connection after few secs. It asks to pair only once, though. It worked just fine, then I messed up something with the app configuration and now I can't make it working again. 

Still, try to remove the iPhone from the Bluetooth connected devices in the TV and then pair again. Maybe reboot the TV before pairing it.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

This thing does not go over Bluetooth. It uses WiFi with some proprietary pairing.

I also tried the Android TV Remote Control app on an Android mobile phone now where it works properly. So I assume the issue to be with the iOS app.

Already tried reinstalling the app. Didn't help.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Are you talking about this (link)? Because I am quite sure the same app in Android connects (also) via Bluetooth. Actually, it does. I've just turned off the phone's WiFi and it searched for the phone's BlueTooth instead. Now I have unpaired both on each device (both phone and television) and after finding my TV they both ask to pair, giving a pre formed code.

I dunno, but I'd check in both the the iPhone and TV if the other device is paired in the BlueTooth settings. If they are, unpair them. I mean, I assume the app works in the same way in both iOS and Android.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

At least the iOS app only works on WiFi. If I disable WiFi on the phone, the app complains. I wouldn't bother with Bluetooth anyway as all devices are on the same local network. So Bluetooth would just be an additional hassle...

I deleted the phone everywhere on the TV and re-paird with the app over WiFi. Didn't help. Would aks me again on restart/reconnect.

Android TV Remote Control on an Android phone seems to work properly...

[EDIT]

Indeed on Android it tries to connect via Bluetooth in case WiFi is off. But this is not what I want. It works properly on Android over WiFi anyway...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I wonder only because I don't remember a request of pairing from the app via WiFi. Only for the BlueTooth. Actually I have no memory of any pairing via WiFi with any app. But yeah, it's a different OS, probably they are different. Or my memory tricks me, maybe sometime it does with Android phones too.

Anyway, while talking about this I checked my app in the Mac and I managed to make it working (the OS has been updated. Probably it was a bug). Thank you for making me thinking about it! :smiley:

PS: I have seen your edits only now. I'm not sure what's going on, then. Well, I really have no idea at this point. It surprises me the app doesn't even use Bluetooth in iOS.

profile.country.GB.title
proxide
New

This bug still occurs!

It is extremely annoying and makes re-think about my next TV purchase. Of TVs, Bravia was my favorite model series. I have probably owned 4-5 of them during my 30 years. It shows that Sony does not care about its software and/or do not have proper quality assurance.

(The problem does not lie with Google since it is a custom, proprietary distribution of Android OS)